Distinct Counts

• DTML (1/23/2015)

Perhaps you or someone else can clarify the following for me? Using the 2012 AdventureWorks database:

a) I ran the CREATE TABLE script as it is in the QoD and the is_ansi_null_default_on was set to 0 (off)

The table was created, and the myid was created as Not Null and as a PK .

The INSERT statements failed with Msg 515...column does not allow nulls...etc.

Both SELECT statements return 0.

All of this makes sense - except the primary key. Either you uncovered a bug (frankly put, quite unlikely), or you made a mistake somewhere.

Can you tell me exactly how you verified that the column was created as a primary key? I tried to reproduce what you saw, but I did not see any indication of the column being a primary key.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo,

I don't believe I can upload any files here to show you screen shots can I? So, I will describe exactly what I did.

When I got the initial error about the INSERT statement failing, I looked in the Object Explorer of SSMS, found the dbo.MYTABLE, expanded its columns and there is a key-symbol next to the MYID column representing that it is a primary key, and in brackets next to it is "(PK, int, not null)."

I initially ran the QoD script, by simply cutting and pasting it exactly as it was into SSMS, after I opened a *New Query* window and ensured that the context was my "AdventureWorks2012" database (below is the content of everything I have done thus far). As stated I modified, the ANSI_NULL_DEFAULT option (you will see that below too), re-ran the QoD script with a newly named table...etc. The newly named table (i.e. mytableWithAnsiNullDfltOn), was created and did not have the key-symbol or (PK, not null) values next to its columns in the Object Explorer.

NOTE: I have refreshed the Object Explorer as well, and the dbo.MYTABLE still shows up as PK.

Ahhhhhhh Haaaaaaaa! Wait a second, as I am documenting this I just realized that MYTABLE table is showing up in uppercase in the Object Explorer (yet the script from the QoD was in lowercase), and the renamed table I created (i.e. mytableWithAnsiNullDfltOn) is showing up in lowercase...OUCH! I must have created a MYTABLE at some other time and not noticed this! Sure enough, when I checked the create_date column (i.e. select * from sys.tables order by 1) MYTABLE had been created some 3 weeks ago!

My apologies everyone. So, I dropped the MYTABLE, ran the following ALTER DATABASE AdventureWorks2012 SET ANSI_NULL_DEFAULT OFF; (to get the database back to the state it was before I was caught by this). Then started all over with the same script pasted below!! This time however, the INSERT statements worked fine with the *mytable*. The myid column was not a primary key and it was nullable.

My apologies Hugo - it appears the ANSI_NULL_DEFAULT was not at all the problem - it was the fact that I had a previous MYTABLE in my system which I created as having myid as a PK!!

Thanks everyone for having the patience and taking the time to help me work my way through this!! 🙂

--Script from the QoD:

--NOTE - Evidently I missed seeing the following error:

-- "There is already an object named 'mytable' in the database." when I ran this the first time!!

--Thus causing all the confusion!!

CREATE TABLE mytable ( myid INT, mychar VARCHAR(10) );

GO

--When I run the following INSERT statement I get:

-- Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

-- Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'MYID', table 'AdventureWorks2012.dbo.MYTABLE';

-- column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

-- The statement has been terminated.

INSERT mytable

( myid, mychar )

VALUES

( 1, 'A' ),

( 2 , 'B'),

( NULL, 'C' ),

( 4, 'D' ),

( NULL, 'E' ),

( 6, 'F' );

--Returns no records

select * from dbo.MYTABLE

--Returns 0

SELECT

COUNT(MyID)

FROM

mytable;

--Returns 0

SELECT

COUNT( DISTINCT MyID)

FROM

mytable;

--Never ran this:

--DROP TABLE mytable;

--Question of Day reply suggested that I had

-- "My guess is that the database where DTML ran the script

-- has ANSI_NULL_DEFAULT off, thus making columns NOT NULL by default"

--So I googled the following: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522682.aspx

-- "The status of this option can be determined by examining the

-- is_ansi_null_default_on column in the sys.databases catalog view

-- or the IsAnsiNullDefault property of the DATABASEPROPERTYEX function."

--Returns 0 (meaning it is off)

SELECT SD.is_ansi_null_default_on FROM sys.databases SD WHERE SD.name = 'AdventureWorks2012'

--Execute the following to change the value to on as per

--this website: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187375.aspx

ALTER DATABASE AdventureWorks2012 SET ANSI_NULL_DEFAULT ON;

--Now returns 1 (meaning it is on)...so should make columns NULL by default.

SELECT SD.is_ansi_null_default_on FROM sys.databases SD WHERE SD.name = 'AdventureWorks2012'

--Re-run the QoD script but changed the table name

CREATE TABLE mytableWithAnsiNullDfltOn ( myid INT, mychar VARCHAR(10) );

GO

--Runs without failure (6 row(s) affected)

INSERT mytableWithAnsiNullDfltOn

( myid, mychar )

VALUES

( 1, 'A' ),

( 2 , 'B'),

( NULL, 'C' ),

( 4, 'D' ),

( NULL, 'E' ),

( 6, 'F' );

--6 rows returned

select * from dbo.mytableWithAnsiNullDfltOn

--returns 4 rows (i.e. doesn't count the nulls)

SELECT

COUNT(MyID)

FROM

mytableWithAnsiNullDfltOn;

--returns 4 rows (i.e. doesn't count the nulls)

SELECT

COUNT( DISTINCT MyID)

FROM

mytableWithAnsiNullDfltOn;

• DTML (1/25/2015)

My apologies Hugo - it appears the ANSI_NULL_DEFAULT was not at all the problem - it was the fact that I had a previous MYTABLE in my system which I created as having myid as a PK!!

Thanks for getting back to this, DTML! I was convinced that there had to be some logical explanation for what you witnessed. I am very glad that you found this explanation, and shared it with us.

Well done! 😉

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply