Distance between multiple locations

• What would be the best approach when establishing the distance between points.

By that I mean I have lets say 2 fixed Building locations and 8 moving Cranes(Container lifting Crane). I have position locations every minute of the cranes, for all 8 of them. I can establish the distance with the Haversine formula in an SQL function.

I am wondering if it would be better to place the data for the two buildings in one table and then each crane in a separate table, and then build the function/query around that. I am thinking this is the most likely approach.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, Consulting Systems Engineer, C# Programmer, SQL Beginner

• What could you say about the relationship between the cranes and the fixed locations?  The distances being calculated are between the cranes and the fixed locations?  Can cranes switch locations?

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Given that building are likely to have different attributes (beyond position, & fact that crane positions change) than cranes, I'd use separate tables. I'd even recommend a Crane table for more or less static attributes of the cranes, & a CranePosition table.

• Hi Steve,

The Buildings are on the far ends of all the cranes. we have an older Microwave system that communicates from building A to Crane 1, then daisy chains all the way to Building B.

The reason for determination between the locations is to identify if we have coverage issues at the extreme ranges of the system.

So the relationship distance would be;

Building A to Crane 1

Crane 1 to Crane 2

Crane 2 to Crane 3

etc...

The cranes cannot switch position beyond the left/right extent of the track set they are on.

Retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, Consulting Systems Engineer, C# Programmer, SQL Beginner

• Thanks Ratbak. that makes the best sense to me to.

• You might also consider capacity of the cranes if they differ.

Coverage could differ. Moving a large load to a smaller crane might mean it needs to be closer and cannot be moved as far.

And if the track sets are specific to each crane, or differ in length. Also keep in mind track positions - Straight line, angle, etc.

• Great suggestions.

The Cranes are all the same lift/capacity/size. All have the same left to right movement coverage and distance of travel. the new system optimally is a distance of 500 Meters. Some of the cranes extend beyond that when one crane is at the far left extent of travel and the other is at the far right extent of travel, however the distance is still passes the distance quotient enough for decent coverage.

Thanks,

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply