Displaying a Pop-up message in SSRS 2005

• Great article Prasanna - There's a few typos that are probably resopnsible for the errors folks are seeing on this thread:

When setting the visibility of the controls:

=Not(Parameter!IsValidNum.Value) should be =Not(Parameters!IsValidNum.Value) - note the missing 's'

=Parameter!IsValidNum.Value should be =Parameters!IsValidNum.Value - note the missing 's'

• Problem description:

I am using the function to embedd within the report .This function is called the user presses the view report button.

It works in the report designer (in preview),but it doesn't work on the server after i deployed it to the server,

why does it give me the message that is Error during processing of '@ParameterName' report parameter.(rsReportParameterProcessingError).

I am using Mgbox to display some alert statements in the Custome code.. embedded into the.. report

do I need to do anything with custom assemblies?

• Hey prasanna,

looks like you are too good in SSRS .why don't you show some more scenarios just like this.

I think you are working right

• I have not tried to do exactly what you have suggested, but soemthing similar based on another post here - but ran into a problem that MsgBox is not a valid function outside of the Visual Studion IDE. In fact, for my test project, the MsgBox option was showing up wonderfully in the "preview" mode, but stopped displaying it in the "Debug" mode. Needless to say, deploying it to the Reporting Server also did not help - it apprears that the VB Code for MsgBox is simply Not Supported on SSRS Servers. Read this[/url]

May be I am wrong, in which case, I would be very happy to find out how you got your solution to work on the SSRS Server.

Bhushan

• Happy to report that I found a decent workaround to the "msgBox" problem I reported earlier. Basically, just take out the MsgBox from your function code and let the user select parameters as they want. On clicking "View Report", your validation function will turn ON or OFF the boolean parameter and it will dictate whether your entire report shows up or a customized error message shows up.

I my proof of concept, I made all parts of the function parameterized so that even the message can be customized. I will post it here later.

Prasanna, your example here and the word document helped a lot. Thanks a lot for your contribution.

• I also have it working when running in MS Visual Studio, but once deployed on the reportserver, it failes on the messagebox. I would like to know how to bypass that ...

• I've had pretty much the same experience as everyone else here.

Great idea. I got it working in my Visual Studio environment and then when I sent it to the reportserver there was no way to get it working.

Which is too bad really, this would be such a valuable feature for parameter validation w/out having to build a custom aspx page.

• I found that a better alternative is to do the validation on the SQL side. It's very easy to use a sql RAISERROR function to display some meaningful feedback to the user, and you can stop the report execution!

Example:

IF (@intNumber > 55 OR @intNumber < 15)

RAISERROR('Error: Your number must be smaller than 55 and bigger than 15', 16, 0);

Syntax:

RAISERROR (@ErrorMessage, -- Message text.

@ErrorSeverity, -- Severity of >=16 stop the script and the Report execution.

@ErrorState -- State.

);

• The problem is when you deploy report to web service is not working.

Error during processing of ‘parameter’ report parameter. (rsReportParameterProcessingError)

:crying::crying::crying::crying:

• The problem is when you deploy report to web service is not working.

Error during processing of ‘parameter’ report parameter. (rsReportParameterProcessingError)

:crying::crying::crying::crying:

• This method described by Prasanna will not work when you are deploying the reports to the web, and anyways, since the custom code gets executed at the server side, this is of no practical use as the message box will never pop-up when accessed from the client.

Cheers,

Jason

My Blog

• Its working as expected from the IDE. But need to check from report server.

• Hi i have problem with text box,right when the message box shows message like"U entered 5,r u sure do u want continue"

if i press yes it will display the text box message .right when i press no it should not be render the report,but in my case why it's rendering?

Any idea?

• Hi Prasanna,

This does not work neither in IDE...nor on report server...nor on sharepoint integrated mode...

can you explain how did you achieved it....i have done each and every step you have mentioned...

Cheers...

Pulkit

• This was done in SSRS 2005 and I was able to get it working only locally. I didn't realize it was not working once you deploy it. I have not tried this on SSRS 2008 nor in Sharepoint integration.

Thanks

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

always Happy, always Prasanna 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply