Disk Space Notification

• Hi

How can i setup a SQL mail notification when my Database server Disk space is full or near to full?

By using SQL2008 Management studion

• Thanks a lot Gianluca

But again this is through scripts; i want to do it with SSMS.

Thanks & Regards

• how do you mean you want to do this through SSMS?

the scripts Gianluca provided can be compiled and run through SSMS or set in a job to run on a schedule.

• I mean through Graphical user interface without going for scripting or coding.

Thanks & Regards

• If you want to do something via a GUI, then you will need to buy a 3rd party app to alert you. That is not functionality built into SSMS.

There are reports that you can run - but that is not monitoring and alerting.

Why not utilize the provided scripts to create the alerts?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• alnawrass2002 (12/2/2011)

Hi

How can i setup a SQL mail notification when my Database server Disk space is full or near to full?

By using SQL2008 Management studion

There are many third party monitoring tools available outside which will serve your purpose. However, if you are a DBA (or want to be) I will suggest you to go with the T-SQL (as script provided in above post by Sartori) as it will enable you to do the automation sort of things on your own.

Sujeet Singh

• I'll agree with all of the above, you cannot do this via the SSMS GUI, the options you have are to create the procedures from the scripts, put them in a SQL Agent Job, schedule it to run every X mins or X hours.

If you want GUI without doing any coding or T-SQL scripting, you will need to pay for products like Spotlight on SQL Server from Quest, Diagnostic Manager from Idera and SQL Monitor from Red-Gate.

• Thanks all,i'll go with the script and i'll update you with the results.

Regards

• when i run this SP i receive the following error:

Msg 17938, Level 16, State 0, Line 0

SQL Mail does not work with the 64-bit version of SQL Server

how can i fix it (am using windows server 2008 64 bit)

• will need to use database mail

msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail

will need to be configured with a mail profile if not already done so and then where xp_sendmail is in the scripts replaced with the above proc and correct parameters.

• am using sql mail and its working fine,do we need to configure DB mail also.

• if your using SQL Mail already then you need to find where you use SQL Mail and apply the same syntax to the new procs.

SQL Mail is a depreciated feature and is only in 2005 and 2008 for backwards compatability for SQL 2000 upgrades, in Denali/2012 it will be removed so I suggest getting everything changed from SQL Mail to DB Mail

• so could you please provide me with the new syntax which will work with SQL Mail ?

Regards

• if you lookup sp_send_dbmail in SQL BOL or google it will provide the information you are looking for.

you first need to ensure that you have configured DB mail and that it works before even going this far.

if you already use xp_sendmail for SQL mail then you must link through to a 32 bit server which has SQL mail enabled, so you must find where you use xp_sendmail in your environment and copy the syntax from that object to the notification objects to use SQL mail.

SQL mail should not be used for any new developments from the release of 2005 onwards, you should use DB Mail, if you plan to move to Denali/2012, you have no option but to use DB Mail as there will no longer be SQL Mail.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply