DISK IOPS 25000

• Is there any way to control disk IOPS for heavily used database, i want to slow down the disk usage for a particular database as it effects the whole environment

• Yep.   Move the database to a different disk spindle.   If it's on a SAN, things get a tad more complicated, but then you'd have to work with your SAN Admin to ensure the database is on a different physical spindle.   That said, however, it does NOT address total I/O volume.   I'm not aware of any way to throttle disk I/O, and in the long run, that's probably a bad idea anyway, because it would have to be the entire drive, and not just this database.   You may be approaching a hardware limit here, but without more details, it's hard to know what other alternatives would be useful.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• sgmunson - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 10:42 AM

Yep.   Move the database to a different disk spindle.   If it's on a SAN, things get a tad more complicated, but then you'd have to work with your SAN Admin to ensure the database is on a different physical spindle.   That said, however, it does NOT address total I/O volume.   I'm not aware of any way to throttle disk I/O, and in the long run, that's probably a bad idea anyway, because it would have to be the entire drive, and not just this database.   You may be approaching a hardware limit here, but without more details, it's hard to know what other alternatives would be useful.

Steve, I must wholeheartedly agree that it's probably a bad idea in the long run. 

The total IO volume sounds like the issue, so why is it so high?  Also, are you talking about just disk IO (physical reads)?  If so, is there adequate memory so the data isn't flushed out of the buffer pool 12 seconds after the query's done?  Do you have anything else running on the server and, if so, is it particularly disk-intense?

• goher2000 - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:04 AM

Is there any way to control disk IOPS for heavily used database, i want to slow down the disk usage for a particular database as it effects the whole environment

As others have suggested, you need to first find out why is the storage not performing upto your expectations, on the other side the storage is probably doing its best what it can and may be your queries need to be tuned.  I would first start getting some basic perfmon metrics to get a good understanding how your storage is performing.  If you do not have list of perfmon counters to monitor, i blogged about it little while ago here .

There are few SAN's out there that do let you control (QOS) how many IOPS you can perform at an individual LUN level.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply