Disaster Recovery Week

• So anyone else have experienced an actual DR? I would like to here more from them. What did they learn? That doesn't mean just like a Sandy situation but also like a server(s) have died for some reason, prolong power outage, A/C down, etc.

I've help out with DR in many situations that are not weather related. Even worked on a DR for a company that their building was damage from an earthquake. It didn't fall but no one was allowed in for months. That to me is also a DR situation.

Rudy

Rudy

• My point exactly Rudy, I was excited to hear about DR, but instead it is BC and all of us can tell about servers and storage blowing up.

• Well, like I mentioned before it appears that lots of people for get about DR situations where you need to rebuild basically everything from scratch. I would be interesting to see a poll on how many people have bare metal build documentation and if it's up to date.

Rudy

Rudy

• (grins a sly grin) By the way - there is one more part called "the application" I never restore them myself but I hear tell that a database with out web server, app server and such is not useful.

I disagree (smiles) I use the database all day long without every having to log in and use the app. 😀

Seriously, (sigh) there is more to the system than just the database.

1) Web and app servers

2) AD servers for authentication. SA works fine for me but .....

3) Tape/Disk backup servers to backup my backups.

4) Routers, and other hardware.

5) Bathroom and vending machines. I've been surprised at how many DR discussions about DR sites never, *never* discuss security, bathrooms, vending machines or where we will live/stay. Some how everyone will go to the DR site and laundry, living, etc will just take care of itself. :w00t:

• I agree but the app systems (web, routers, networking, apps, bathrooms) are not "really" the job of the DBA. If you are responsible for those things then you need to document that too.

Most companies have network teams, development teams, etc. that would manage those parts of the disaster. If your a DBA with those responibilities then I hope your well paid.

Rudy

Rudy

• I am the IT Manager and I spend alot of time with policy, producedure and oversight for both BC and DR for App servers, SQL, D/C, terminal servers, fax server - what is critical to us.

But, I have never been through a real disaster, and I would love to hear stories of failing over to a DR site and failing back. I would love to hear what sort of DR sites they have. We use SunGard, I knowthere are other ways to skin the cat, and not build another data center at another of our sites where we don't have the right power, AC or tech people.

I have had a half dozen database servers die on me, but when you have spare hardware - and all you are talking about are backups and restores, it is important, it is concerning, but you have an office and a data center. You have AC, you have power, you have space and desks to work.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply