Disaster Recovery: How to regain your lost sysadmin access

• If you are already local administrator, why don't you just use DAC. See BOL if you don't understand DAC.

• jswong05 (2/22/2012)

If you are already local administrator, why don't you just use DAC. See BOL if you don't understand DAC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would only work if the local administrators group on the SQL server is still a member of the sysadmin role of the server, and while this is the default for *some* versions of SQL, I don't think it is for all of them--plus you might well have removed local admins from that role as a matter of course anyway!

• paul.knibbs (2/23/2012)

jswong05 (2/22/2012)

If you are already local administrator, why don't you just use DAC. See BOL if you don't understand DAC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would only work if the local administrators group on the SQL server is still a member of the sysadmin role of the server, and while this is the default for *some* versions of SQL, I don't think it is for all of them--plus you might well have removed local admins from that role as a matter of course anyway!

Paul is correct, the trick is for the times when you are completely locked out of SQL Server. That means, you have forgot the sa password, you have removed BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATOR & you don't have any other account which has been added to sysadmin role. DAC will not work in those situations, this trick will.

Sujeet Singh

• Paul and Divine, There are no tricks. I just did DAC a week ago with windows local administrator rights, and without build-in administrator being as sysadmin. (Paul, we did deselect build-in as sysadmin in this environment)

DAC is calling SQLCMD locally on the server. (you don't go in from SSMS) Please read BOL.

Windows local admin allows you to get on server locally, you don't need to be part of build-in administrator being as sysadmin.

I had to go in with DAC because I had set "user connections" to restrict max number of users under our license. It ended up locking out the system when connection exceeding the number. No (none) account can get in.

Regards,

• I just did DAC a week ago with windows local administrator rights, and without build-in administrator being as sysadmin.

DAC is calling SQLCMD locally on the server. Please read BOL.

Windows local admin allows you to get on server locally, you don't need to be part of build-in administrator being as sysadmin.

I had to go in with DAC because I had set "user connections" to restrict max number of users under our license. It ended up locking out the system when connection exceeding the number. No (none) account can get in.

Regards,

• very useful article. Will try it out...

Br. Kenneth Igiri
    https://kennethigiri.com
    All nations come to my light, all kings to the brightness of my rising

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply