Disaster recovery

• Well, it happened. The database server went south and would not boot.

I have two sources to get back on the air. One is a collection of MDF/NDF/LDFs that my network resource was able to get off the server drive, the other is a collection of back ups that were copied over to a Western Digital installation off the server, (it copies backups the server made, not backups it makes itself) but its still not all beer and skittles.

The MDF/LDF source was apparently hit by some kind of corruption, because after attaching them I can see that databases that used to have hundreds of tables now have like fifteen or twenty tables. Procedures and views are also gone, though I do have scripts for most if not all of them. Some databases are there in name only, that is, the database is there, but there's nothing in it.

I do have all the starting data sources (e.g. the text files from the year 1 that were on a different computer), but since I am working on a new instance on a new server, I have no idea if my SSIS packages will work to repopulate the empty databases (especially considering I have a new server name and maybe new paths to contend with) and whether or not I can restore the SSRS databases (reports and its temp) onto the new server, again in light of the new server name/paths etc.

I'm sorry if this is disjointed but I would appreciate advice on 1) what to do about the databases with partial contents 2) what to do about the different MSDB and its relationship to SSIS and SSRS and if I can restore MSDB from the dead box to the new one and 3) what to do if the WD backups are as trashed as the attachable remnants.

On top of all this, I have to work on this mishegas today instead of attending SQL Saturday. Cannot buy a break. I must check my astrological chart :crying:

• Quick thought, start by restoring anything from the latest backups, that's your best bet. Then if anything is missing, look at the data files, seriously doubt that the log files are going to be of any use.

😎

• thanks

the backups also had holes in them...the most recent set that is usable was from ten days ago.

I am running reports from the restored data against last month's control totals reports. So far three dbs returned the same sum and count as the reports of record, but I have found one with unexplained short counts.

I haven't gotten to SSIS packages or reporting services restore yet...I am still looking for the *.snk. As I understand it, without that encryption key I am sunk as far as reports go.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply