Disadvantages of using XML in sql server 2000

• What are the disadvantages of using OPENXML in sql server 2000. I had read somewhere that there are memory issues or performance issues. I am not able to find any documentation. If anybody has anything on disadvantages (in terms of performance)of using XML in sql server 2000 please send me the links.

• Other than the ones you named, I'd also look into the disadvantages of using xml at all... you'll find plenty more arguments there.

• Could you forward me the web site links

• This is the best article I've read on XML :

Is XML The Answer

Check out the articles section of the site for plenty more.

• The BOL entry for sp_xml_preparedocument warns that the XML parser will take 1/8th of the memory available for SQL Server.

For retrieving small amounts of data in simple XML format SQL2000 is fine. If you want to retrieve a multi-hierarchal XML document then SQL2000 is convoluted to say the least. I am not convinced that retrieving a huge XML resultset is a sensible idea.

The MS Press book programming SQL2000 with XML gets your juices flowing for using XML and then right near the end of the book it gives all sorts or dire warnings with regard to security. I don't have the book any more.

I tend to view XML with SQL2000 as a bolt-on that MS was forced to add to be seen to not be missing the boat. I could be completely wrong on this. I am trying to find some meaningful documentation on SQL2005 and the new XML datatype but haven't found anything as yet.

• Thanks a lot!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply