Disabling Indexes

• I know this is an old article, but I figured I'd give a reason why you should disable indexes.

Not all organizations have the ability to have dbs for applications and others for reporting. So, for EOM or EOY reporting, transactional indicies might cause these reports to take forever especially if there are rollups or aggregations. It's best practice to not have indexes that you don't need, but rather than drop and recreate for EOM or EOY reporting, you can disable. That way, the maintenance hit is not a constant.

Yes, I know.. This is not best practice period . But sometimes, the customer has their limitations.

• hello,

the article is really interesting. We have log shipping set up on one of the dbs and there is also huge bulk inserts gng on, bcoz of that the size of log backups is increasing. We were following the process of dropping the indices, bulk-insert the data and then recreate the indices. if i go the other way around by disabling the indices, bulk-insert data and then re-enable, will this decrese the size of log backups? I think so yes bcoz then there is less activity than re-created the indices from scratch. Please suggest me . thanks in advance

• I guess you could say I'm a little late to the party. 🙂 But thanks, Andy! And thanks to those who have commented.

You all helped me find a solution to a problem I had with bulk inserts, the bulk-logged recovery model, and minimal logging.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply