Disable TDE

• Grant Fritchey (3/13/2009)

Nuts. I might have been premature in posting to Connect. I finally found another reference:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=351548&wa=wsignin1.0

I'm testing removing the certificate now.

Yep, I check that too. It was only post I find related to this issues.

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia

• Grant Fritchey (3/13/2009)

I posted it to Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=423249

You can vote on it, set the priority, add your comments, especially since this is your issue.

I'm going to keep hacking at it as time allows.

I do not think it will make much difference but my testing is on platform 64

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia

• Amit Lohia (3/13/2009)

I do not think it will make much difference but my testing is on platform 64

I think that's worth noting. Now we know it happens on two platforms. If there's a way to fix it, we should find out, I hope. I also blogged about[/url] it and sent out a tweet. Hopefully someone with an answer will notice.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• If we analyze the error from backup command. It is complaining about log file. So I thought how about trying to attach just MDF file but it failed.

sp_attach_single_file_db @dbname = '[TDEDisabling]', @physname = 'J:\Backups\TDEDisabling.mdf'

Msg 33111, Level 16, State 3, Line 1

Cannot find server certificate with thumbprint '0xBB1B0816079C10A6342683443A8E576196EFBE73'.

Msg 1813, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Could not open new database '[TDEDisabling]'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia

• I know this thread is over a year old but I'll post in case someone else runs into this problem.

I've run into the need to know how to remove TDE. In doing my research I came across this thread and some other links with similar issues. The blogs say that setting encryption to off isn't enough. You also need to drop the database encryption key. Only after performing these two steps can you create a fresh backup of the database and restore it to a new server without encryption.

USE MASTER

GO

ALTER DATABASE DBNAME

SET ENCRYPTION OFF

GO

USE DBNAME

GO

DROP DATABASE ENCRYPTION KEY

GO

reference this link:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/sqldatabasemirroring/thread/1df9bb6e-6cf7-4569-b91a-5d39c320f7bb

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Can you make sure you backup database to a different .bak file after you turn off the encryption?

• Did you use this query to turn off the TDE.

USE MASTER

GO

ALTER DATABASE DBNAME

SET ENCRYPTION OFF

GO

USE DBNAME

GO

GO

• nice one....thats right code

Prakash Heda
    Lead DBA Team - www.sqlfeatures.com
    Video sessions on Performance Tuning and SQL 2012 HA

• Hello,

u need to create master key and restore the certificate with the private key on the new server before starting restore the database . After that open the master key and run the restore command. It worked for me. waiting encryption state to change to 3 is not gone work. It will take forever.

use master

open master key encryption by password ='xxxxxxxx'

restore database xyz from disk=N'c:\xyz.bak'

go

• you do not need to restore the DMK or even open it to restore a TDE protected database to another server!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Follow two step before you make a backup to move to new server.

Step 1:
    ALTER DATABASE <User DB> SET ENCRYPTION OFF

Step 2:
    USE <User DB>
    GO
    GO

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply