Digital Artefacts

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Digital Artefacts

• It feels like two issues here and I think that these are both touched upon.

The issue of sovereignty of ancient artefacts is not the key point but for many a sensitive subject. It is not a new topic. Invading armies, nations and civilisations have always taken items "home". For me the most essential element is that these artefacts remain public i.e. not in private collections. After that I feel that it is a discussion beyond the scope of this forum.

What I read as the main point of the editorial is that various data are becoming historical artefacts. Arguably this has always been the case. Great excitement has occurred when historians have discovered documentation detailing history in the form of engravings, papyrus, scrolls, manuscripts and books. Why should electronic data be any different? A large amount of care is taken causing significant expense for physical artefacts. Now institutions need to face up to the effort and associated cost for the equivalent attitude for digital artefacts.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• One thing that I love about digital reproductions of artifacts is that while ISIS destroys them, we can remake them. It's sad that religious fanaticism is set on ruining historical and cultural artifacts, regardless of their religious significance. I know it's gone on for a long time, but at least now we not only have the ability to do 3-D scans and reproduce artifacts, but they have the ability to recreate 3-D models from flat photographs.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• If data belonging to the museum was hacked, then that's obviously an issue.

However, regarding the Nefertiti sculpture, I'm not fully understanding the outrage over the reproduction. Is a 3D scan conceptually any different than a 2D photograph or an artist's sketch? Maybe the museum is concerned that tourists with high def cameras and a 3D scanner back home won't bother spending money on official full scale reproductions from the gift shop.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply