Differential Backup very great

• Good afternoon,
    I have a dilemma with the sudden growth of our Backup Differential that is made to the closing of every day. Them comment that have not become changes, neither in the structure, nor in the operations of the applications, we have not grown either in users.
    Normally we made our Full Backup the days Sundays and daily the Backup is made Differentials. The normal thing was that our Full Backup weighs 34 GB more or less and its differentials between 2,5 and 3,0 GB.
    The last week there were 2 days that were made the Backup Differential and this it grew enormously arrived at 27 GB, first that comes to the mind that somebody I execute some process in batch and generated the growth of the LOG, good that same day instead of making the Differential a Full Backup was made and on the following day the Differential was made and everything returned to its normality 2,7 GB.
    The sunday was made the Full Backup, all normal one until the day Monday when making the Differential this one arrived again at the 27 GB. As I return to them to mention who the Server was reviewed and in addition operations were not made in batch and much less we grew in users. The stranger is that the Differential grew as much as if outside a Full Backup. If somebody can help me with this dilemma it would thank for it.

Greetings,

Luis Lozada

• Hi,

did you activate a maintenance plan for index optimation recently? That might explain big diff backup files...

regards

karl

Best regards
    karl

• Yes.

That can be made to avoid that it grows too much?

To do it before the Full Backup?

• Yes. Doing the maintenance before the full backup has the additional benefit that if you have to restore, you restore an optimised database...

On the other hand you might try to adjust the fillfactors of the indexes, so that during optimisation less data movement occurs - might also be better for overall performance... 

Best regards
    karl

• Thanks you very much.

Luis Lozada Portal

Perú

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply