Differential backup Size Compared to sum of T-Log Backup Sizes

• If I do a full backup on a Sunday and a diff backup on Monday at 11pm and do t-log backups every 15mins, would I expect the size of tMonday's diff backup to be roughly equal to the sum of all the t-log backup sizes done throughout Monday?

• not a necessity, depending on the nature of your transactions.

Transactionlog: value before/after transaction. If committed you could count it as changed

Diff=changed data since full (rolled back=not changed)

• I would say, most definitely not...

The transaction log will contain a record of all transactions that have occurred - and also contains the information needed to rollback a transaction and/or roll forward that transaction.

A differential backup only backs up data that has been marked as changed since the last full backup has been performed.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• No they cann't be same as the data stored in a Differential backup includes only the transaction log files up to the current checkpoint and transaction log contains all the committed and uncommitted transactions.

-MJ
    Please do not print mails and docx unless it is absolutely necessary. Spread environmental awareness.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply