differential backup failed without any additionl error info

• I have a differential database failed with below message in job history:

Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "BACKUP DATABASE [WSS_Content_ch_testProd] TO DISK...".: 50% complete End Progress Progress: 2011-04-01 21:00:18.49 Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "declare @backupSetId as int select @backupSetId =...".: 100% complete End Progress Progress: 2011-04-01 21:00:18.68 Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "BACKUP DATABASE [SharePoint_Prod_Config] TO DISK ...".: 50% complete End Progress Progress: 2011-04-01 21:00:19.26 Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "declare @backupSetId as int select @backupSetId =...".: 100% complete End Progress Progress: 2011-04-01 21:00:19.44 Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "BACKUP DATABASE [SharePoint_AdminContent_223e3a34-...".: 50% complete End Progress Progress: 2011-04-01 21:00:19.73 Source: Back Up Database Task Executing query "declare @backupSetId as int select @backupSetId =...".: 100... The package execution fa... The step failed.

But I can see the database differential backup file is created, and so I don't know why it failed, not much information is given. I also try to find it in SQL log, and maitenance history, it didn't show any error?

SO what was wrong? How can I get more info?

Thanks

• You can ensure the checkbox to add the step details to the job history is checked. I also found it helpful to go to the step details and specify an output text file. This too will usually give you more details.

Jim

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• But what I posted is in detail panel. And there is no error in maintenance history for this job.

no errors in sql log too, I tried what you suggest to export to a text log file, but it seems the same informtion, so where else can I find?

Thanks

• as its a maintenance plan is it failing to delete the older backups or perhaps a permissions issue creating the .txt log file?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks, this maintence plan job does only differential backup.

It has been running fine for 3 months, not aware of any permission change.

• check the sql server log again carefully, if the backup command failed it will be in there!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply