Different editions on same host

• I am trying to find a statement from Microsoft that different editions of SQL server are supported on the same host. Can anyone point this out, I've spent a while searching but not found anything in the documentation.

For example

SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition, and Enterprise Edition instances on the same host.

We need this for upgrade scenarios.

Thanks

• I cannot think of a reason why that would be a problem for the database engines but you may run into issues with some of the shared services depending on which order you do the installs. With Integration Services the Edition can matter in terms of what Components are supported (e.g. fuzzy lookup and grouping).

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thanks I completely agree. What I am after, is a statement from Microsoft in the documentation or otherwise. I am having a discussion with a vendor and I need to back up my argument but I can't find the reference!

• This may be what you need. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143694.aspx.

It states that "SQL Server supports multiple instances of the Database Engine, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services on the same computer. You can also upgrade earlier versions of SQL Server, or install SQL Server on a computer where earlier SQL Server versions are already installed."

John

• Thanks John, I'm looking for a reference to editions, not versions. Still can't find it...:w00t:

• maybe this?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/04f9eab4-907d-400c-b15c-710fd2f972e0

SQL server tools / client components , integration services and browser are MACHINE aware - ie) 1 per machine.

SQL database engine , analysis services and reporting services are instance aware. You can have around 16 database engines in a single machine.

So If I install Enterprise edition as the default edition and add a standard named instance, the shared tools will still work without issue? I know this may seem to be a strange request but this cluster is going to serve as a test for multiple instances of different SQL editions. Thanks for your help.

Yes the shared components will work without any issues for both the instances.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Yes I realized that right after I posted it. I searched around some more but havent found anything. You can use that as your argument that "Microsoft does not say it is NOT supported." 🙂 Ok, that probably doesn't help. Maybe you can get a statement from an account rep?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply