Difference between SaaS and web application?

• I'm currently interested in self-hosting and I recognized that mostly it's about alternatives for SaaS. But not always classical SaaS are targeted (e.g. Home Assistant, IoT, Blogging Platforms). What is the difference between web applications and cloud? I'm not a tech-savvy maybe it's still possible someone could explain me the core differences.

Thanks in advance.

• Cloud, SaaS, web application are all extremely broad terms that have a lot of overlap.

Cloud basically just means on the internet not hosted by you(there is no mythical in the sky cloud, everything is hosted somewhere).  SaaS is some kind of service you pay for that is hosted in the cloud.  A web application is just something you interact with through a browser, it could be hosted anywhere locally in the cloud whatever.

Typically stuff in the cloud and SaaS will have a web application for you to use but they might also have functionality that is provided directly through web services.  There's also a lot of nuance when say for example your storage hosting is SaaS but you manage the actual back end of the web site vs a say web site provider like square space.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• SaaS is a more explicit idea for programming permitting and conveyance. Web application is an overall term for any application which you can access through a web interface.

At the point when a provider gives you admittance to a cloud stage, one of the interfaces may be a web application. Another can be an application for your work area, or for your cell phone. They will probably give you backing, and you will pay them through a month to month membership charge. A layered evaluating model will give you admittance to the functionalities you wanted.

What you are paying for is the assistance. You don't claim the product.

Subsequently the name 'software as a Service'.SaaS is a more explicit idea for programming permitting and conveyance. Web application is an overall term for any application which you can access through a web interface.

At the point when a provider gives you admittance to a cloud stage, one of the interfaces may be a web application. Another can be an application for your work area, or for your cell phone. They will probably furnish you with help, and you will pay them through a month to month membership charge. A layered estimating model will give you admittance to the functionalities you really wanted.

What you are paying for is the assistance. You don't possess the product.

So we get the name "software as a service". There are many mature providers of cloud hosting like Cloudways, dreamhost and many more that have high reaches and resources for their users.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  joshcahill027.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  joshcahill027.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply