Difference between Informatica & SSIS.

• Hi all

What are the diffference between Informatica & SSIS.

Thanks

• These are two different ETL products.

Raunak J

• Yes, I knew that. B'coz I am working as ETL Developer.

I like to know as ETL tool what are the difference between them.

Can you list down few of them.

Thanks

• Saurabh,

I have worked relentlessly on SSIS. By far it has met all my needs any ETL or data staging developer can possibly think of.

Raunak J

• I also worked with SSIS 2005. But, I found feature missing in SSIS, which are available in Informatica. Ex. Dynamic Lookup, Unconnected Lookup, Sequance Generator.

Like this Can we found the gap between SSIS & Infa

Thanks

• For every component found "Missing" a Script Task/component comes to rescue.:-)

Raunak J

• Script task is to create custom compontant, i am looking for inbuild compontant.

• It's true that informatica comes with more built in features but, assuming you will be running SSIS on an existing SQL Server, it also comes with a much higher price tag. Much, much, higher.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• yes, cost is big concern.

But, I like to know on technical front.

• One of the main differences i found was that Informatica gave the ability to send individual columns form each task to seperate tasks and as long as they joined up correctly in the end it was fine, wheras in SSIS you only have the option of sending all of the columns from taks to task.

Also another feature i liked in informatica was the ability to propogate changes throughout the dataflows. So if you changed a column name it could update all the dataflows that use the column to reflect the new name.

• Informatica was used extensively at my previous job. In fact, my bosses asked us to do proof-of-concept comparisons between SSIS 2005 and Informatica (I forgot which version). Here are my very personal and biased opinions.

Informatica has higer performance than SSIS. Also, it works more effectively with more data sources and destinations "out the box" than SSIS. HOWEVER. . .

Informatica is a great big pain to learn. It seems to me that whoever first developed Informatica put no thought into user-interfact design. Do you know what my pet peeve is in Informatica? The lack of an undo button! Took me a while to get over that. Also, Informatica is a pain to learn because there is limited support. You can go to any bookstore and buy SQL Server/SSIS books. You can even get some for your e-reader. Books on Informatica are few and far between. For example, I couldn't find any Informatica books on Amazon.com.

Also, Informatica is VERY EXPENSIVE. We're talking about thousands of dollars for tool that essentially serves one specialized function. SSIS, on the other hand, is essentially free. In fact, you can get a fully-functional copy of SSIS with the developer's edition of SQL Server. For thousands of dollar more than SSIS, Informatica BETTER have higher performance and work more effectively with more data sources and destinations than SSIS!

Now I'm working on contract with a client that uses Microsoft tools heavily. They are willing to explore tools that extend SSIS's functionality. And as much as those tools cost, they will still be cheaper with SSIS than Informatica will cost by itself.

Okay, my rant is over for now. 🙂

• In which areas SSIS's functionality can be improved or customized?

• Been a while sinceI worked with Informatica, but one of things I remember is the lack of a looping construct. If needed, it required some interesting coding to implement.

I also found that learning SSIS was actually easier than Informatica.

Informatica may have more builtin capabilities, but SSIS is easier to extend with scriptig tasks and third party add-ins.

The biggest difference, as already stated, is cost.

• kirti.malukani (5/15/2012)

In which areas SSIS's functionality can be improved or customized?

Almost everywhere. There are commercial companies that make plug ins to add transforms and tasks that people find useful. PragmaticWorks is one of them. You can also find plug in modules on CodePlex for free, but you might have trouble getting support for them.

• It has been a while since I worked with Informatica as well. In fact, I don't think I've really used it since I posted the original message of this thread. Anyway, I believe that you should use SSIS is you already have SQL Server, unless you are dealing with MASSIVE amounts of data or you need an ETL tool that is cluster-aware (real clustering, not the stuff that SQL Server has traditionally done).

Also, let me say that I think Pragmatic Works' products are the best things since sliced bread. For example BIxPress from Pragmatic Works has a lot of features, but I like the auditing framework, notification framework (complete with emails and texts with SSIS packages run) and monitoring console make it work the money. The other features of BI xPress just add to the value. Also, Pragmatic Works' Task Factory has objects that save me from having to do so much custom coding. And all these third-party tools combined are still cheaper than Informatica.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply