Diagraming Issues

• I need to create a diagram of a database where the joins are enforced in the application. I a table, DATABASE_DICTIONARY table as well as a DB_JOINS table.

Both the tables I have are not synched completely with my production database.

How would you go about diagraming the database? The data has a few hundred tables which are grouped into 25 or so logical units. I would also like to maintain a relational meta model. Does anyone have any experince doing that?

Thanks for your feedback!

Robert Sterbal

• A good modeling tool such as ER Studio can help.  It can reverse engineer the existing tables and infer relationships where the column names and data types are the same.  It also treats the logical diagram separately from the physical diagram so you can declare relationships in the logical but not propogate them to the physical etc...

That said, it's a terrible idea to treat a database a merely a persistence mechanisim for the application.  Integrity ought to be enforced at the database level.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply