Diagnosing source of Error 601 – Data movement during NOLOCK

• We have (on same server) two 3rd party (OLTP) databases/APPs that make heavy use of NOLOCK. I hate it because of risk that data is missing/duplicated in queries and users rely on the bottom line that they see.

Some time ago I put in place an alert notification on Error 601 and yesterday I got an email. That's good (I think??) as it confirms my concern that data CAN change under-foot.

But from the email I cannot see which database (and better yet: which query) triggered it. The SQL Error Log gives me the SPID but I don't think (after the fact) that helps me.

Is there a way I can trap this better, next time it happens, to get a better diagnostic?

(Ideally I would like to know which database, and preferably the actual query)

• Try setting up an Extended Events session.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail. Bit beyond my capability - I'm aware of EEs, had a brief look, but never tried to actually code one. If you can easily point me in the direction of a starter-for-10 example that would be appreciated.

Could I get the same out of SQL Profiler? I've got plenty of experience of that 🙂

• Profiler, no. Hence the explicit suggestion of XE only.

Just dive in. It's got a GUI in 2012, create new session and look around (or read Jonathan's XE series on his SQLSkills blog. I think Jason (SQLrnnr) may have one on his too)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/11/2015)

It's got a GUI in 2012

Ah, that sounds encouraging, thanks. I'll check out the blog links too. It looks a bit daunting, as a newbie, last time I looked!

• If you're on 2012, the GUI is really easy. Don't use the Wizard. It's a waste of time and more than a little misleading.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply