Device activation error. The physical file name

• Your sentence doesn't make sense. The SQL Server service account is the same Windows admin account that is running SQL?

It is possible to lock files/folders from Administrator. Just because the service account is Administrator or an administrator, doesn't mean it can access these specific folders/files.

You should not run administrator as the service account. Create a normal domain account, assign it as the service account with SQL Server Configuration manager. You can assign rights for this folder to the group for the database engine. In SQL 2005, this is SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$ComputerName$MSSQLSERVER

• thx for this detail.you probably right, i notice yesterday that third party application was locking the file , i tried to rename and i see the error message for locking, i'll then stop that application and test the restore again , i'll let you know.

• i can confirm that the issue was definitely Sercurity. the third party application was locking the file.

i stopped it and it works.

thx for your support

• That's not what we meant by security. Security would have been the SQL account not having permission on the files. This was just a mis-behaving (or incorrectly configured) application.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ....thanks for feeding back though 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I had the same problem ! It was a antivirus that was locking my file.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply