Developers and DBAs

• I can relate. I was in a situation where I felt that if I did better, it was resented. But if I slacked off, I resented myself. I left the job, then came back, had lots of ups and downs, but stuck with it while I finished a degree and paid off our house.

Now, 7 years later and looking back, I realize that I took work way too seriously. People will do what they want to do, and management listens with one ear to the technical advice and the other ear to the politics. That's reality. Probably better in some environments than others. But, for me, the answer has been to keep coming in every day, decide for myself what I was willing to do, and collect my paycheck. My reward has been the respect and praise of the business people I work with. Now, after a few years of this, I'm finally retiring (at 30) to pursue other hobbies and interests.

The motto? Decide who you want to be and where you want to go long term. Then, determine if your work fits into that plan. If it does, then stick with it. If not, then make changes to align your life with your values. I know it's easier said than done, but it is doable.

Best of luck to you. Hope things are going well now.

Ron

• First, I would like to thank Clarold Britton to edit this article for me since I am still struggling my 'Chinlish' - English grammar.

I am working in a different company now but I find out everywhere is the same.  

I just read a book, it said the working environment and culture had changed since the last twenty years.  Mostly because of company downsizing, bad economy, people are worried about their job security.  At the same company I was learning Actuate report, I asked a developer about the actuate report adminstrator and how it worked, he actually said  'No'.  If I want to learn, I will have another way to learn.  That guy obviously had no confidence in himself.  He worried if he showed it to me, his job would be threatened.   I actually felt bad for him.

Trust and loyalty is no longer existed.  Unfornately trust and loyality is basic to all business success.  People become skeptical, supicious and cynical because they worry if they still have a job the next day.

my 2 cents.

• It sounds like a depressing place to work, but I'd be interested to hear the other side of the story.

The article heading mentioned "DBA Janet Wong brings us one of her experiences about how you can better go with the flow.

" but the article seems like a gripe session with no pointers on how to "go with the flow", only complaints.

• These are some suggestions on how to better manager your working relationships. First, may I recommend in the future that when you have suggestions you do not put anyone (especially a supervisor) in a spot of embarrassment? To suggest a way to do something more efficiently is good. To do it at the expense of making someone else look incompetent is not.

Second, if you want to be efficiently productive and get along with your co-workers, then show them the respect that you want by being discrete and modest in your opinions. Is your goal to be a hero by showing off your talents or to accomplish your goals?

Third, stay in your lane of responsibility. When we stray out of lane of responsibility is easy to get caught up in the office politics.

I hope this advice is well taken. Best regards.

FYI...I too am a worker bee and not a manager.

• Your post sounds too much like judge the message by the messenger.  One needs to do their job to the best of their abilities.  Also stakeholder analysis comes in to play.  As an employee you have a duty to see that things go as well as possible.  If people can't handle the feedback to improve then discussions need to start.  If it turns out that what you have to contribute is not appreciated then it is time to move on.  Nobody spends an entire career at an employeer and if you are not developing and or appreciated you have to go because nobody else is investing in you accept yourself.

• I had even worse experiences. The best choice is nothing but leave this company! Remember the saying:

If you cannot change the world, change yourself.

Best wishes.

• I've had similar experiences as well, and I think anyone with more than 5 years of experience as a good SQL developer is going to have at least one of these war stories.  I'm also a writer, so I understand the need to occasionally relieve a little pressure by writing a rant. 

That having been said, while I understand the need for the occasional article about how to manage unmanageable managers, deal with demanding departments, and coerce challenging co-workers, this story (IMO) should have been presented as an editorial.

We've all had these challenges, and editorializing against the manager who wanted his project to fail despite your best efforts to make it work ... <take a breath> ... is a healthy thing.  This article listed a few technical examples but, c'mon... it was a rant.

My point is: if you want to write an editorial, write an editorial.  Don't disguise it as a technical article.

• I think there a lot of people who got that lousy T-Shirt from this very type of situation. The problem is palin and simple office politics. Some people just do not want your help as that is a sign of weakness in their opinion and if it wasn't their idea they want you to disappear. I find these folks will also make your work disappear for a period of time then bring it up at a point as to make it look like their own. Unfortunately document everything to CYA and offer suggestions publically around these folks with the backing of your manager, if ou don't have that then you don't really want to offer the suggestion and should look for a less hostile environment as a matter of personal opion.

• Depending on your modus operandi suggestions can be given in different manners.  What has worked for me in the past is to focus on the bigger picture, forget my pride at times, and get the job done however possible.  If that means allowing someone else to take credit for your ideas, or bringing them to the point where they suggest the idea as their own and can shine can be very beneficial.  In every role I've ever had my goal has been to make my manager look good.  When you do that they will treat you better and will often become less insecure and trust you more because they know you're looking out for them.  I'm not suggesting for anyone to be a doormat but to look at the bigger picture and choose how you fit into it.  Working with the system can be the only way to work through the politics.

Off my soapbox, I have some opportunities that are basically the opposite of this environment where IT is central to an organization and respected as such.  The IT group's suggestions are welcomed and very much appreciated, and the exposure to the rest of the organization is significant.  I'm looking for DBA's strong in SQL coding, SQL Server 2000 and 2005, and who have a good business sense and want to be involved.  If you're interested please contact me: maria@ergsearch.com or (920) 996-9700 x126. 

This is a great community, I'm thankful to be a part of it.  Keep your collective chin up IT counterparts!  Your value can be recognized in the right organization!  I hope you all find the right fit sooner than later, and congratulations to you who already have.

Maria Myers
    maria@ergsearch.com
    920.996.9700 x126

• I hate office politics   And it always seems like the most talented IT professionals just aren't properly equipped to deal with all the backstabbing and craziness.  Probably because good IT people tend to focus on the technical issues and don't have lot of time and energy to waste on all the office politics.

• I was in similar situation years ago in a big Canadian company. Then I learn what to say and when to keep my mouth shut.

This help me to go into trouble but it didn't help in making my job happier.

Currently, I am in a big US based company. The IT dept is a big mess. We are still using P3 as server. It took over 2 years to approve a plan to upgrade.

It seems that nobody care about what you say( and I won't say anything). My boss didn't know or understand what I am doing. I tried to explain to him Why and How I didn't things in order to made it work better not just barely working. His fiscal expression told me that he is not interested. Then I stop say anything. So, I am still look around for my perfect job.

Not saying anything isn't a solution. Ask the right question in an interview is a better solution.

• I disagree.  As antares pointed out, a lot of the more experienced folks (like yourself most likely) have lived through a situation or two like this, so an article like this might seem "old-hat" or "off-topic" for you.  But keep in mind there are a lot of newly minted DBA's and developers joining communities like this all the time, and sad to say office politics is something they will have to deal with.  I think it's a good idea to share not just technical expertise with the youngsters, but also other professional business experiences.

• Like me... only 2.? years experiences and never had troubles like this one .

• Mike C,

My point was that this was an editorial, not a technical article.  Yes, we need to try to help the juniors get through the death of their soul as quickly and easily as possible, because I think we can all remember that time in our careers, and a few articles on the topic are fine, but they are editorials, not technical articles. 

As an editorial, the article was fine; as a technical article, it contained a few tidbits of interest and a whole lot of irrelevance.

On the other hand, it takes a special kind of toughened hide to write an article for a technical community and put it out there for thousands of nit-pickers like me to take shots at it, so I admire anyone who does it.

Jeff

• LOL.  I just spoke with your bosses, they're treating you like the lobster...  slowly heating up the pot so you can't tell your soul is dying...  j/k   I've done a lot of contract work, so I've seen a lot of interesting things and met a lot of crazy people.

The one thing I've learned over the years (don't laugh, some people have been at this a lot longer than me and haven't learned even *one thing*!) is this: "Document! Document! Document!"  Those three little words can save your "life"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply