Developer Edition : Please explain ?

• I go this definition from the www

Developer Edition

With the Developer Edition, you can develop applications for SQL Server. You get all the features of the Enterprise Edition, but with a development license that prohibits you from deploying this edition in production.

..."prohibits you from deploying this edition in production"...

Say if i build my mdf database in SQL server developer edition, load data, test data, run queries. Then send the mdf and log file to a server that has enterprise version on it, install it, will it run ok. I assume I will get enterprise manager, query analyser, debugger, etc

Does production just mean more that one client accessing the mdf ( SQL server database).

I am a layman, so please explain, as I just purchased it...

• Say if i build my mdf database in SQL server developer edition, load data, test data, run queries. Then send the mdf and log file to a server that has enterprise version on it, install it, will it run ok

Yes!

Does production just mean more that one client accessing the mdf

As far as I understand it is production anything that is not development. So, given your above situation, once you've sent the mdf and the log to the other server this db is in production and shouldn't be run on that server under developer edition. This needs a "regular" license. No matter how many clients will access the db.

You might want to check this with http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.asp

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Just to add to what Frank's already stated:

Say if i build my mdf database in SQL server developer edition, load data, test data, run queries. Then send the mdf and log file to a server that has enterprise version on it, install it, will it run ok

>Yes, definitely, have done it many times.

..."prohibits you from deploying this edition in production"...

>'Edition' refers to the edition of SQL Server, not the database. It is quite legitimate to move the database to a production server running SQL Server Standard or Enterprise Edition, and still have a copy of that database on the test and/or development server(s) running Developer Edition. Many environments do just that, using a full or cut down version of a live database running on Developer Edition for test/development purposes. It is the purpose that you are using SQL Server for that the licence applies to. If you're only using it for development/test purposes, you only need the Developer Edition. Likewise if it's for a production site, it's Enterprise or Standard Edition you'll need (let's leave MSDE out of this!). Where the data came from, or where else it's being used is irrelevant. You could be pumping live data directly from the production database that supports your company's live web site as customers enter their details, into a Developer Edition database where you're developing with Reporting Services. Until the Reporting Services app. goes live to the business, it's a development server and therefore only needs a Developer Edition licence. Frank's right about the client numbers too, it's irrelevant how many users attach to it.

Microsoft have probably done this to allow you to load test the server before it goes live. The only way to satisfactorily do this and be sure that performance is going to match expectations is with a copy of SQL Server that's identical to what's going to be used on the live server.

Hope this helps.

Jon

• I just had a discussion with Microsoft licensing department on this. We have a Development, Systemtest, Acceptation and a Production environment. We only pay Enterprise and Standard licenses for the production environment. For al three other we have developer licenses. Even clustering is supported on de developer version. We have one cluster running all other three environments and thus saving a lot of money on licenses.

• You got something clear, simple, non-ambiguous and non-contradictory out of the Microsoft licensing department????

That is the single most impressive thing that has EVER been put on a forum.

• Funny isn't it?

I must say, we have very good contact with Microsoft. Good support and they are very helpfull. Then again... We pay al lot of money each year for licences, consultancy and support. If we do not have a good relationship with them, it is not good for them, but also not good for us.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply