Deterministic Function

• I'm having trouble creating a deterministic function.

For a bit of background, I had to add to a table a computed column whose formula was based on a function.

But the table had an indexed view on it. When I tried to recreate the indexed view, I got complaints that

Cannot create index on view "xxx.dbo.xxx" because function "dbo.fnxxx" referenced by the view performs user or system data access. I tried commenting out bits of my function to see which bit SQL objected to. But eventually I was left with nothing, and SQL was still complaining. I then looked at OBJECTPROPERTY IsDeterministic to see if my function was - and it wasn't! Trouble is I can't see to make even the simplest function Deterministic now.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

David.

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.fnTest ()

RETURNS int

AS

BEGIN

RETURN 1

END

GO

select OBJECTPROPERTY (object_id('fnTest'),'IsDeterministic')

• Try this:

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.fnTest ()

RETURNS int

WITH SCHEMABINDING

AS

BEGIN

RETURN 1

END

GO

• Hi Lynn,

Thanks for that - it worked! (But I don't remember this being a requirement for a deterministic function!?)

I was then faced with the problem that my function was imprecise! (not the one in the example).

select OBJECTPROPERTY (object_id('fn...'),'IsPrecise')

The UDF used the POWER function which returns a float, and which my indexed view didn't appreciate. When I worked around this I was able to create my index.

Thanks again for your help.

David.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply