Determine user SSIS package run as

• I have an SSIS package that is failing. The SSIS package was built in Visual Studio 2005, and is run from a SQL Agent Job on a server running SQL Server Management Studio 2005. The job uses a FileWatcher task to monitor an FTP site (accessed via a network share) and looks for xml files to import into a database, then moves the xml files to a 'Processed' folder.

If I right click the job in SSMS, view history, and expand the log file view I see the following error message (questions marks inserted to hide sensitive information):

Step ID 1
    Server SERVER??????\H??????1
    Job Name V??????s
    Step Name XML_Insert
    Duration 00:00:00
    Sql Severity 0
    Sql Message ID 0
    Operator Emailed
    Operator Net sent
    Operator Paged
    Retries Attempted 0

Executed as user: H??????R\s??????n. Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility
    Version 9.00.5000.00 for 32-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights
    reserved. Started: 10:12:49 Error: 2019-09-30 10:12:49.55 Code: 0x00000000 Source: File
    Watcher Task FileWatcherTask Description: The Path specified is not a valid directory.
    Please check directory exists and has appropriate security
    permissions (\\server\??????\??????\??????). End Error Error: 2019-09-30 10:12:49.55
    Code: 0xC0024107 Source: File Watcher Task Description: There were errors during task
    validation. End Error DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_SUCCESS (0).
    Started: 10:12:49 Finished: 10:12:49 Elapsed: 0.282 seconds. The package executed
    successfully. The step succeeded.

The missing permissions indicated by the error makes sense because the file store that the package was interacting with was lost due to a hardware failure. It has since been recreated (albeit without folder security/permissions).

We have added read/write/modify permissions to the user account mentioned ("Executed as user: H??????R\s??????n.") both to the network share name and checked they have cascaded through to child folders, however the same error about the path not being a valid directory keeps occurring.

Where else might the 'run as' user be set if it's not the user that the error message is indicating it is?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Rob.
  • A server doesn't run SSMS; SSMS is an application used to Interact with SQL Server (which your server will be running).

When you run a package from the Agent, it'll be run with the credentials of the Agent user, unless you specify a different user in the job. The above however, tells you the user as it states "Executed as User: {redacted Username}".

Just to note, 2005 is long out of support now; ideally you want to look at upgrading sooner rather than later as the only supported version of SQL Server that provides an upgrade path for 2005 is 2012 (and that is only in extended).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply