Desperate: New SSIS Package yielding Failed to decrypt protected XML node - already fixed protection level

• I had this issue with my first SSIS package and fixed it by setting Protection Level to Dontsavesenitive and setting Creator Name to match SQL Login I was using to access the data as well as turning the Run64bitRuntime to false.  I have created a second package, which does all the same tasks.  I received the " Failed to decrypt protected XML node "DTS:Password" with error 0x8009000B" when running the job in SQL Agent, and remembered this issue.

I have set all of these to be the same, yet the error still happens.  I'm adding the protection level to the package properties.  Is there a secondary place where this is set as well?  FYI:  I set the SQL password in the agent job so I don't need to create password files. 

I have both SSIS packages open beside each other and see no differences.  One runs in SQL Agent Jobs, one does not. I have also verified the tables involved are fully accessible by the sql account.

• Luv SQL - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:35 AM

I had this issue with my first SSIS package and fixed it by setting Protection Level to Dontsavesenitive and setting Creator Name to match SQL Login I was using to access the data as well as turning the Run64bitRuntime to false.  I have created a second package, which does all the same tasks.  I received the " Failed to decrypt protected XML node "DTS:Password" with error 0x8009000B" when running the job in SQL Agent, and remembered this issue.

I have set all of these to be the same, yet the error still happens.  I'm adding the protection level to the package properties.  Is there a secondary place where this is set as well?  FYI:  I set the SQL password in the agent job so I don't need to create password files. 

I have both SSIS packages open beside each other and see no differences.  One runs in SQL Agent Jobs, one does not. I have also verified the tables involved are fully accessible by the sql account.

There is a 'secondary place', try looking in the project properties and setting it there too.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If I select Project at the top then Properties, it's set to DontsaveSenstive.

• Luv SQL - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:09 PM

If I select Project at the top then Properties, it's set to DontsaveSenstive.

OK, as long as DontSaveSensitive is set in the project and all of the packages in the project, I do not know of any other place.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• OH MY GOODNESS.  I changed them BOTH to Encrypt, save all, closed.  Opened it up again, changed Project to Dontsave, then package to Dontsave then save all.  Now runs.  ARgh.

• Luv SQL - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:31 PM

OH MY GOODNESS.  I changed them BOTH to Encrypt, save all, closed.  Opened it up again, changed Project to Dontsave, then package to Dontsave then save all.  Now runs.  ARgh.

I feel the pain! Glad it's sorted now.

• You can avoid all of this by switching your deployment model from package deployment to project deployment - and then deploying to the Integration Services Catalog.  If you don't have that set up, I would recommend getting it set up as it provides a lot of features that can simplify not only your deployment issues - but also how you develop your packages.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I will give that a whirl.  I'm fairly new to VS and the SQL Data Tools application so will see if I can do that with the tool.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply