desktop engine install error?

• Hi all

Im getting this message running setup.exe for the sql2kdesksp1.exe file...

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Any ideas?? ill try another download.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Tried another download but did not change the message. Also tried (when uninstalling).. using the directory is recommended rather than entering my own. But again no change.

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com

• I get the same error. I dont have desktop edition installed, I use Developer - not sure if that would make a difference. Found a Q note about the same problem in Office, they say it's due to a corrupted cached msi:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q236/5/97.ASP

That makes sense sorta since I dont see an msi, just an msp file (transform) so it would need an MSI to run against...I think.

Andy

• Andy

Hang on, I thought (and read) that the desk.exe was simply for any client PC running enterprise manager and the other client tools. And is "edition" independent?

The clients have developer ed of sqlserver on their windows 2kpro machines... if I get them to run the sql2ksp1.exe fix to upgrade their local databases it should do their client tools as well id imagine.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com

• Read the same thing...who knows.

Andy

• I am having all sorts of problems with SP1 for desktop engine.

With regards to the message 'This installation package could not be opened' it seems that the msi file that was used to install desktop engine needs to exist preferably in the same location that it was run from. The service pack setup.exe requires the parameter /p <Patch Path> INSTANCENAME=<Instance Name> where <Patch Path> is either the path to the msp file or SQLRUN and <Instance Name> is the name of the instance to apply the service pack to.

I also discovered that if using SQL authentication UPGRADEUSER=sa needs to be specified too otherwise the install will fail when it attempts to run some scripts by logging in with Windows authentication. Also, I can only get it to work when specifying the data path using DATADIR if the data path is not the default. This is proving to be a problem if the instance is an upgraded MSDE 1.0 as \MSSQL is appended to whatever path is specified for DATADIR and the original MSDE install is not likely to conform to the 2000 install path structure. Does anyone have any info on how to deal with this?

Many Thanks,

Andy (different one!).

Edited by - inforamtion on 07/19/2001 09:18:21 AM

• I think you know more than we do! I'll take another look at MSDN.

Andy

• The sp1readme.htm file that comes with the sp install contains the info I outlined previously (except using the UPGRADEUSER parameter).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply