Desktop Edition minus Client Tools = MSDE?

• I don't know if this is the right place to place a few questions about MSDE. I installed SQL Server 7 Desktop Edition, assuming this was the license free MSDE. Apparently my assumption was wrong.

Now I want to correct the situation. If I remove the Client Tools from the computer, will that suffice or do I have to de-install everything and install the MSDE?

Thanks for any input.

Gerry

Dutch Anti-RBAR League

• What client tools are you referring to? If you have SQL Server license, you can use SQL Server tools like QA and EM for your MSDE.

• I am referring to tools like Query Analyzer and Enterprise Manager. My company has a SQL Server Enterprise license, but I need the MSDE to distribute with an application to some customers.

I have already distributed the application with SQL Server Desktop Edition to a few customers, assuming that the Desktop Edition was the MSDE. I now want to correct those situations.

Thanks for any input.

Gerry

Dutch Anti-RBAR League

• Is the customers your internal users? If yes, you don't have to remove the tools as you have enterprise license. If not, you still can distribute MSDE with your application but no client tools like QA/EM. Those customers have to get their own license to use these tools. You should remove them in this case.

For accurate information about MSDE, See http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/default.asp

• then how can I attach my DB without EM to the customers ?

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply