Designing Database from a piece of paper

• I know and I agree with you but that is the least of my concerns.

My issue is how to incorporate that table with my new design so that when they receive an application, they try to determine whether the applicant has applied for rebate before and according to them, the only way they have been able to make that determination is to check the address on the application against address on the database.

By the way, any address submitted on application is verified through our GIS address table.

So addresses on the database are usually correct.

• homebrew01 wrote:

Comparing addresses sounds like a mess, if coming from different sources.

123 N. Park st

123 No. Park street

123 North Park St.

That would depend on whether you're running them through some kind of address validation/normalizing first or not.

Which you definitely should be if you need to use addresses as a matching criteria and there's free and paid options for that.

• Maybe I am not explaining my needs well.

If that's the case, I apologize.

I am a seasoned .net developer and that's what I will be using once I am done with the DB design.

How I run the validation or whatever, is not an issue here.

I posted a screenshot with two tables that the users are adamant that they would like to be a part of our new database design.

I just need help with integrating the two tables into my current design scheme that I posted initially.

I can probably manage the Address table on the right by creating a relationship between it and perhaps the Toilets table or Applicants table or both but given the attributes I have added to Applicants table, are there some changes I need to make to get the two tables to talk to each other?

• Then just add a key to the address table they are insisting you use, can just be an identity.  And add a column on your application table to store that key which gets checked when they submit the application.  If that field is populated they'll know the address used was there when they applied.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply