Design for multi-store online products. EAV?

• so i have relentlessly researched the pros and cons of how to design product attributes using the EAV  model vs separate entity model and I still can’t decide what is best for my simple project.

The app is basically a map of a city where users click on a particular store which brings them to their online store.  Product types and attributes could vary significantly between stores.  The problem is Imhave no idea what types of products or stores that will be online yet, so seems I need a flexible, easy to customize solution.  It is more important for performance for the user to search filter (read) etc fast rather than writing or updating new products.

anyway, so i could have a master product table with a store_product table but seems like that could be tricky if product attributes and departments vary a lot from store to store.

i could separate the entities by department.  So a “clothing” table and subtype hat and gloves table, but then Adding new departments is not easy.

then there is EAV.  Seems like this is good because it allows the store to intergrate tighter with it.

Or I suppose I could have all the attributes lumped together in a json file create a json column in the database%.   Not sure which avenue to go?

Microsoft Certified Professional: MCSE Data Management and Analytics

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply