Design database

• Hi Friends,

I were given a a task to design database for a new project.

How can I start? I mean, I cant directly start creating tables know.

Is there any good approach before designing a database for an application?

please reply

thanks in advance

• First collect the entire spec for your project (including reports) and design them according. Depending on your daily transaction you can design the database up to 3rd or 4th Normal level.

For more information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280361.aspx

🙂

• That's a huge question. If this is the first time you're doing it, prepare to make a LOT of mistakes. First, I'd suggest picking up a really old book called "Handbook of Relational Database Design" by Fleming and von Halle. You might also want to get "Data Modeling for Everyone" by Sharon Allen.

Try to focus on keeping your design simple. Focus very hard on picking appropriate places for the clustered index as a part of the design of the tables, not as an after-thought. Understand the business needs that you're trying to meet. Work with the developers (if they'll have you).

You might want to get a subscription to SQL Server Magazine and read a bunch of Michelle Poolet articles.

That's the best I can do to get you started. This will not be easy. Just remember, everyone starts somewhere and everyone's first database (or first several in my case) was a really bad design. It will get better.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I will follow normal forms. Where do I make a note of all the constraints?

Is there any specific format?

Is there any modeling language to design tables schema in a pictorial form like UML/DFDs/Flow charts??

If so, after drawing the table diagrams, how can I convert to actual SQL tables??

Thanks in advance

• SQL Server comes with a built-in modeling tool. It's EXTREMELY rudimentary, but it will get the job done. You can also pick up third party tools like Embarcadero's ERStudio to do the same work. What you're looking at is an Entity Relationship diagram, also called ER diagrams.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply