derived column error

• Hello,

Using the foreachloop I loop through excel files to get the filename andthen start loading the data into sql server using oledb...

1- I get the filename

2- Then I strip the filedate from the filename and assign to the ssis-variable called FileDate which is of type string

3- I use this variable in the derived column - It is at this stage that I get the following error

[Derived Column [16]] Error: The "Derived Column" failed because truncation occurred, and the truncation row disposition on "Derived Column.Outputs[Derived Column Output].Columns[FileDate]" specifies failure on truncation. A truncation error occurred on the specified object of the specified component.

note that in the derived column transformation editor, in the Derived column name I put the FileDate text, in expression column I put @[User::FileDate] then datatype column is automatically selected as Unicode string [DT_WSTR] and length column is automatically set to 0

can you see what is wrong please?

• arkiboys (1/15/2016)

Hello,

Using the foreachloop I loop through excel files to get the filename andthen start loading the data into sql server using oledb...

1- I get the filename

2- Then I strip the filedate from the filename and assign to the ssis-variable called FileDate which is of type string

3- I use this variable in the derived column - It is at this stage that I get the following error

[Derived Column [16]] Error: The "Derived Column" failed because truncation occurred, and the truncation row disposition on "Derived Column.Outputs[Derived Column Output].Columns[FileDate]" specifies failure on truncation. A truncation error occurred on the specified object of the specified component.

note that in the derived column transformation editor, in the Derived column name I put the FileDate text, in expression column I put @[User::FileDate] then datatype column is automatically selected as Unicode string [DT_WSTR] and length column is automatically set to 0

A unicode string of 0 length is likely to be a problem, any attempt to set a value will result in a truncation

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (1/15/2016)

arkiboys (1/15/2016)

Hello,

1- I get the filename

A unicode string of 0 length is likely to be a problem, any attempt to set a value will result in a truncation

😎

Hi,

Yes, I understand that but how can I solve this problem.

As you see in my post, the 0 length is set automatically and I can not change it.

thanks

• arkiboys (1/15/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (1/15/2016)

arkiboys (1/15/2016)

Hello,

1- I get the filename

😎

Hi,

Yes, I understand that but how can I solve this problem.

As you see in my post, the 0 length is set automatically and I can not change it.

thanks

Use a cast function to define the data type and length.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply