Deployment Error in Analysis Services Tutorial - The source attribute doesn't have the attribute hierarchy enabled

• In Lesson 4 of the msdn Analysis Services Tutorial, Hiding and Disabling Attribute Hierarchies, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms166717.aspx, I am disabling the attribute hierarchies of 2 attributes in the Customer dimension, and add them as levels to a user hierarchy. In the link it is stated clearly that "a hidden attribute can still become a level in a user hierarchy".

However, when I attempt to deploy the project I get errors like the following:

The source attribute doesn't have the attribute hierarchy enabled

I have followed all the steps in the tutorial, but cannot get the deployment to work.

Any ideas?

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• You can definitely set the AttributeHierarchyVisible property to False, but you must make sure that any attribute that is part of a user defined hierarchy has the AttributeHierarchyEnabled property to True.

It clearly states in the last part of the first section of the tutorial that "Notice that the members of the modified attributes are not available for browsing as attribute hierarchies in the Hierarchy list. If you try to add one of the disabled attribute hierarchies as a level in a user hierarchy, you will receive an error notifying you that the attribute hierarchy must be enabled to participate in a user-defined hierarchy."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dan English - http://denglishbi.wordpress.com

• denglishbi (3/12/2010)

You can definitely set the AttributeHierarchyVisible property to False, but you must make sure that any attribute that is part of a user defined hierarchy has the AttributeHierarchyEnabled property to True.

It clearly states in the last part of the first section of the tutorial that "Notice that the members of the modified attributes are not available for browsing as attribute hierarchies in the Hierarchy list. If you try to add one of the disabled attribute hierarchies as a level in a user hierarchy, you will receive an error notifying you that the attribute hierarchy must be enabled to participate in a user-defined hierarchy."

Thank you, I was confused; it was the AttributeHierarchyVisible property I should have set to False, not AttributeHierarchyEnabled. It makes sense now.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply