Deploying first Cube and failing

• Hi I am new to SSAS and I have been working through the microsoft online tutuorials to build and deploy cubes and generally working with SSAS. I am doing the exercises using local server. The specific tutorial I am working through is found here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms166576.aspx. I have done all the exercises leading up to deploying the cube (Lesson 2: Defining and deploying a cube) successfully but when I attempt to deploy the cube I am getting multiple errors. Here is an example of the errors which come up in the Error list:

Error4Internal error: The operation terminated unsuccessfully.

Error5Server: The operation has been cancelled.

Error6OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.; 28000; Cannot open database "AdventureWorksDW2008R2" requested by the login. The login failed.; 42000.

Error7Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'Adventure Works DW', Name of 'Adventure Works DW'.

Error8Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'Product', Name of 'Product' was being processed.

Error9Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the 'List Price' attribute of the 'Product' dimension from the 'Analysis Services Tutorial' database was being processed.

When I check my Data source and test the connection it connects successfully so I am not sure why I am getting Error 6.

Let you know if you need any more info to diagnose and solve this issue.

• Working with the data source in BIDS uses your user credentials to access the objects from your data source. When you go to deploy the cube (and when the cube is accessed by users), the impersonation account is used.

Double-click on your data source and go to the impersonation tab. Check your settings here and make sure that it is configured appropriately. I have a domain account that I use to run all of my cubes under. That domain account is granted access to the database where my data source is pointed. I then use this domain account as the impersonation account.

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Thanks John I checked this and changed it to the option Use the credentials of the current user this gave me an error which stated this impersonation mode is not supported for processing operations. Could you tell me how to set up a domain as you have done and what impersonation mode this would be?

• I use a domain account. This can be a special account that you set up just to run your cubes, or you can use your domain account to run the cube under. If you go this route, use the first impersonation option.....'Use a specific user name and password' and enter the domain\user name and password.

Another option would be for you to use the 'Use the service account' option if you are running your SSAS service under a domain account.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Hi John while waiting for your response I found a way to deploy I simply provided my windows login details in the impersonation tab and that seem to do the trick. I am still interested in your domain method as I think that would be useful for me when I begin creating real projects.

Thanks

• Mark F-428640 (10/28/2010)

Hi John while waiting for your response I found a way to deploy I simply provided my windows login details in the impersonation tab and that seem to do the trick. I am still interested in your domain method as I think that would be useful for me when I begin creating real projects.

Thanks

Your windows login is a domain account.

John Rowan

• Thanks very much appreciate it.

• got ya makes sense thanks again

• One thing to keep in mind when you use this impersonation mode is password changes. Most windows domain admins have password policies in place requiring users to change passwords periodically. When you change the password for a domain account that a cube has been deployed under, you need to go in and change the password in the cube.

You can do this via Management Studios. Connect to the SSAS instance, navigate to the SSAS database and to the data source. Right-click on the data source and bring up the properties. Under 'Security Settings' in the properties window, select the 'Impersonation Info' setting and it will allow you to change the password or impersonation settings.

This method has worked well for me, but I only manage around 12 cubes. I just have to take the extra step of changing the data source properties each time I have to change the password for the domain account used by the cubes.

John Rowan

• Thanks

• Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. It saved my day.

Thanks Again,

Michael

John Rowan (10/28/2010)

Working with the data source in BIDS uses your user credentials to access the objects from your data source. When you go to deploy the cube (and when the cube is accessed by users), the impersonation account is used.

Double-click on your data source and go to the impersonation tab. Check your settings here and make sure that it is configured appropriately. I have a domain account that I use to run all of my cubes under. That domain account is granted access to the database where my data source is pointed. I then use this domain account as the impersonation account.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply