Deny windows account user to register sql server in enterprise manager

• I was task to create a windows account user in sql 2000 and was asked to just allow the user to connect via query analyzer but not Enterprise Manager is this possible?

"-=Still Learning=-"

Lester Policarpio

• No. If an account is granted login rights to a SQL Server you can't restrict what application they use to connect. At least not within standard SQL Server security. There might be some way to hack your way to this.

• Jack Corbett (9/29/2011)

No. If an account is granted login rights to a SQL Server you can't restrict what application they use to connect. At least not within standard SQL Server security. There might be some way to hack your way to this.

May be a way to do that - but I don't think it would be worth it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/29/2011)

Jack Corbett (9/29/2011)

No. If an account is granted login rights to a SQL Server you can't restrict what application they use to connect. At least not within standard SQL Server security. There might be some way to hack your way to this.

May be a way to do that - but I don't think it would be worth it.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. Even when you get to 2005+ you can't really do it well.

• does SQL 2000 support logon triggers? i think that's only 2005 and above, rioght?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (9/29/2011)

does SQL 2000 support logon triggers? i think that's only 2005 and above, rioght?

Correct

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/29/2011)

Lowell (9/29/2011)

does SQL 2000 support logon triggers? i think that's only 2005 and above, rioght?

Correct

Logon Triggers can be used for this if, but they may not work because the application name is passed in as a parameter to a connection string, so I can make any application say it's another application. This is one of the reasons why you need to make sure you set permissions appropriately using least privileges. Once you've let a person on your SQL Server you can't really control how they connect so you need to be sure you've locked down their account properly.

• Thanks for the replies guys the best I can do is to restrict the access of the user so that even with a successful registration in Enterprise Manager the user can do nothing in the databases

"-=Still Learning=-"

Lester Policarpio

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply