DENY VIEW DEFINITION to SA

• I got a SA credential for connecting to clients other development partner DB, since SA is system admin privilege i found it strange that Stored procedure in the DB are locked(View definition). I can see the table structure but not stored procedure. I even tried to give VIEW DEFINITION permission by clicking instance properties but no effect.

I just want to know is it possible to DENY VIEW DEFINITION to user with SA privellege, how to implement that?

How to overide this type of permission so that i can view the proc.

• What message do you get if you run

EXEC sp_helptext 'ProcName'?

John

• John Mitchell-245523 (10/18/2013)

What message do you get if you run

EXEC sp_helptext 'ProcName'?

John

this is the message i'm getting The text for object 'procname' is encrypted.

• OK, then it's nothing to do with permissions. You won't be able to see the procedure definition unless you have the source code.

John

OK, then it's nothing to do with permissions. You won't be able to see the procedure definition unless you have the source code.

John

Indeed. There's a big difference between "being locked" and "being encrypted".

Stored Procedure WITH ENCRYPTION and Execution Plan[/url]

When using a DAC connection, you should be able to decrypt it though (the encryption is not that safe):

Decrypting encrypted stored procedures, views, functions in SQL server 2005,2008 &R2[/url]

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

OK, then it's nothing to do with permissions. You won't be able to see the procedure definition unless you have the source code.

John

thanks for the clarification.

Is is not a performance issue if we create our proc with encryption

• I don't think it's a performance issue, but it is a maintenance nightmare. Some third-party vendors encrypt their stored procedures so that you can't copy or change their code.

John

• SQL006 (10/18/2013)

John Mitchell-245523 (10/18/2013)

John

thanks for the clarification.

Is is not a performance issue if we create our proc with encryption

Not really. Once the plan is compiled and stays in cache, it doesn't need to be decrypted.

Maybe there's a negligible impact on recompiling.

I don't think it's a performance issue, but it is a maintenance nightmare. Some third-party vendors encrypt their stored procedures so that you can't copy or change their code.

John

Because they are soooo difficult to decrypt 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply