Denali Hosting

• Does anyone have any leads on where I can get access to an instance of Denali for free or cheap? I would prefer something with file system access too so I can try things like sqlcmd, bcp, backup/restore, PowerShell etc.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• You can download it for free to install on your own computer.

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• Gee, why didn't I think of that 😛

I have it installed but only have access to a 32-bit sandbox at the moment. In addition to getting onto 64-bit I was also hoping to learn about some SQL Server hosting providers that actually keep up with the technology.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• VMWare or Virtual Box..

Per http://www.vmware.com/products/server/faqs.html VMWare (Free Version) will handle a 64-Bit VM even on a 32-Bit OS as long as the CPU is 64-Bit.

Virtual Box has different restrictions..

While it would be great to have a host for this, very few (if any) would allow file system access.. I recommend a VM product.

CEWII

• Therein lies the issue...I only have access to 32-bit hardware at the moment. I am holding out on upgrading but this may light a fire.

--Plato

• ah <initiating Bill Clinton voice>I I feel your pain</end Bill Clinton voice> sorry to hear that. What I'll say is that most things work the same, as they should..

CEWII

• opc.three (7/15/2011)

In addition to getting onto 64-bit I was also hoping to learn about some SQL Server hosting providers that

actually keep up with the technology.

I can't see any hosting provider installing a pre-release piece of software for customers, much less offering said hosting for free.

Edit: Plus The CTPs are licensed as 'not for production usage', so it would be really hard for any hosting company to do that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/15/2011)

opc.three (7/15/2011)

In addition to getting onto 64-bit I was also hoping to learn about some SQL Server hosting providers that

I can't see any hosting provider installing a pre-release piece of software for customers, much less offering said hosting for free.

Microsoft has offered some "free" demo areas for new products which is what gave me the idea. I had to register but they issued me an RDP login so I had the file system access, etc. I think it was for Server 2008, I don't remember. I would think a hosting company may offer something of the like as a way to lure in new customers. It may have been wishful thinking.

--Plato

• opc.three (7/15/2011)

GilaMonster (7/15/2011)

opc.three (7/15/2011)

Microsoft has offered some "free" demo areas for new products which is what gave me the idea. I had to register but they issued me an RDP login so I had the file system access, etc. I think it was for Server 2008, I don't remember. I would think a hosting company may offer something of the like as a way to lure in new customers. It may have been wishful thinking.

I remember exactly the same thing. MS partnered with Dell I think and another company to provide like 90 minutes via RDP to play with the software.

CEWII

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply