Delimited Identifiers in code interpreted as BBCode

• It seems that if you delimit identifier a single value in brackets using inline code markup (surround it with backticks) the value is interpreted as bbcode markup instead.  In all the below examples I use [ U S E R ]. For example, the value in a code sample

And in inline code: . It looks fine in the preview, but goes wrong when displayed. Can bbcode be ignored inside code markup?

Looks like even if you have a statement it goes wrong.

SELECT * FROM ;

And inline code: SELECT * FROM ;

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Testing some other words, in case it's the fact that it's the word user

Table:

My Column: [My Column]

[My Column]

Values: [values]

[values]

Edit: Looks like it might be specific words? Makes when they start with a character?

Starting with a t: tsdtsdhfgasdkf: [tsdtsdhfgasdkf]

Starting with a u: uisdfsjuoafhvasjkl: [uisdfsjuoafhvasjkl]

Edit: Ok, specific words then it seems. Column? [column] How about schema [schema] and database [database]? That should be enough anyway.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  Thom A. Reason: More tests
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  Thom A. Reason: Conclusion. Last tests

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• To add to that problem, when you're creating a post and need to lookup a BBCode and click on the "BBCode tags reference" (which points to https://www.bbcode.org/reference.php ), it takes you to a now defunct page that actually times out (it used to work just fine).

Any bets on whether or not they got hit by ransom-ware?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I just clicked on the link for BBCodes tag reference and it's fine, page is there, not defunct, no timeout

Sue

• I wonder why it's not working for me.  It times out for IE (yeah, I know but had to try) and FireFox on my personal laptop and it times out using Chrome at work.  This occurs for me trying to use the link in the edit window AND when I pasted the underlying URL directly into the URL address line on all 3 browsers.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I'm using Firefox - hit the link from the code editor box as well as the link you posted. No problems.

I just tried with IE - no problems there.

Sue

• It worked fine on Windows 10 Edge and Firefox at work, and fine on Ubuntu Firefox at home. Sounds like the problem might be your end, Jeff. Considering that the site is off-site resource as well, not sure what SSC can do about it. :/

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• It WAS working for me before on both places it is no longer working.  I've not made any security level changes in FireFox or Chrome, either.

I hope I don't have to clear cache again to make something work on this site like I had to do twice now since the migration.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

It WAS working for me before on both places it is no longer working.  I've not made any security level changes in FireFox or Chrome, either.

Maybe a DNS issue? bbcode.org resolves to 45.79.11.160, which I can ping, can you? Just throwing ideas out here mind.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

It WAS working for me before on both places it is no longer working.  I've not made any security level changes in FireFox or Chrome, either.

Maybe a DNS issue? bbcode.org resolves to 45.79.11.160, which I can ping, can you? Just throwing ideas out here mind.

Hmmm... funny.  Got 48ms round trip average.  Tried clicking on the link again and the ol' time out message.  Then I found out what it was just on a guess because of your suggestion... it's the special secure software that I use to connect to work.  It's thinking that the target is a threat and simply not allowing the connection until it "checks out" the website, which is simply taking to long or they have the appearance of being a threat.  When I turned that software off, the link took me right in with no delay.

I'm hoping that's not actually a bad thing. 😉

Thanks for the hint, Thom.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Being able to turn the software off that's trying to keep your work device "safe" doesn't seem "safe". 😉 It's like having the option of Password Protection, but with an option (before authentication) to skip that bit. ??

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Being able to turn the software off that's trying to keep your work device "safe" doesn't seem "safe". 😉 It's like having the option of Password Protection, but with an option (before authentication) to skip that bit. ??  

Heh... what I meant was that if my "work connection code" thinks there's something bad on that site, I'm wondering if there is.  My system is pretty well locked down even without the extra checks the connection code for work provides so I'm not so worried about my laptop but I'm concerned about other folks that might not be so well locked down on their PCs.

And, no... I'd never consider disabling the safe connection code at work.  That would be one of the world's biggest "Bozo-NoNo's" anyone could even think of.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply