Deleting from multiple tables

• Yes, I AM a noob.

How do you delete rows from multiple tables? I have three tables and I want to delete all expired records. Here's a part of the DB: (tmpID is the primary key)

tmpUser

tmpID

Username

tmpInfo

tmpID

password

expires

tmpKey

tmpID

key

I've tried to use aliases, inner joins, unios and cursors. But can't get it right. I searched the net for "deleting from multiple tables" and found something called triggers. But I still don't get it. Please, help me out.

/Tomi

Ps. This has nothing to do with this topic but anyway: Do server hosts usually allow DMO and the SQLServerAgent?

• You can do it easily in SQL2K by declaring the foreign key relationships and enabling cascading deletes. In earlier versions (or even SQL2K if you prefer to do it manually) you can do it a trigger if you want it done automatically, or just in a stored proc or even client code if you only want to do it in certain cases. A simple trigger would like this, assuming that tmpuser is the "main" table:

create trigger d_tmpUser on tmpuser for delete

as

set nocount on

delete from tmpinfo where tmpid in (select tmpid from deleted)

delete from tmpKey where tmpid in (select tmpid) from deleted)

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• thanks Andy!

Hmm... I think a stored procedure would do better for me. But I don't know how to make one because expires is in the tmpInfo table. So how do I delete the others? INNER JOIN doesn't work. How do you do it with a cursor? Oh, yes and I'm running MSSQL 7.

Something like this?

set nocount on

DECLARE expired_cursor CURSOR FOR

SELECT tmpID from tmpInfo

WHERE expires < GETDATE()

OPEN expired_cursor

FETCH NEXT FROM expired_cursor

... what do I put here?

CLOSE expired_cursor

DEALLOCATE expired_cursor

Thanks again!

/Tomi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply