Deleted

• Deleted.

• chocthree - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 6:56 AM

Hi,
    I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. Not sure where else to ask it.

I like working with T-SQL and the SSMS environment. I like MS products. I dabble with SQL Server only slightly at work but it stills allows me to familiarise myself with the product.
    My employer has asked me to drop SQL Server and move onto writing queries with HIVE (part of the Hadoop eco-system). I know nothing of Hadoop currently.

By using HIVE rather than SSMS I will use sharpness of navigating around the SQL Server environment, but what other skillset am I likely to lose?
    Is the HIVEQL variant of SQL greatly different T-SQL (function etc)?
    Will I keep my SQL (query/joining) logic or am I likely to lose that too?

I wonder how strong of a candidate I will be to move back into a role using SQL Server if I've been using HIVE for a year plus?
    I would be grateful if someone could share their experiences and answer my questions. Again, at this stage, I know nothing of the HIVEQL.

Thanks.

Is your question is  related to Career path of Hive+SQL Server ?
    Is your question is Hive and  T-SQL  are similar to each other?

Saravanan

Hi,
    I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. Not sure where else to ask it.

I like working with T-SQL and the SSMS environment. I like MS products. I dabble with SQL Server only slightly at work but it stills allows me to familiarise myself with the product.
    My employer has asked me to drop SQL Server and move onto writing queries with HIVE (part of the Hadoop eco-system). I know nothing of Hadoop currently.

By using HIVE rather than SSMS I will use sharpness of navigating around the SQL Server environment, but what other skillset am I likely to lose?

I wonder how strong of a candidate I will be to move back into a role using SQL Server if I've been using HIVE for a year plus?
    I would be grateful if someone could share their experiences and answer my questions. Again, at this stage, I know nothing of the HIVEQL.

Thanks.

If you only dabble in SQL Server and you've never used Hadoop before, you're not actually a strong candidate in either.  That's not meant as a slam... that's meant as a simple understanding/fact.

To answer your overarching question, look for jobs for SQL Server/Azure and then look for jobs for Hadoop or HIVEQL.  See which is more predominate.

Also, if by "dabbling", you mean only on work hours, you should consider downloading a free copy of SSMS and SQL Server Developer's Edition and get busy at home for a couple of hours each evening.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Hi,

Thanks.

These are radically different databases. Their management is very different. Their data storage mechanisms are very different. Their query mechanisms are very different. Yes, spending all your time learning Hadoop and Hive will atrophy your skills in Microsoft SQL Server. You won't be able to translate expertise between the two directly. This is especially true based on the fact that you don't sound like you have a great deal of experience. With a lot more experience, similarities of concept (writing to disk is writing to disk) would allow for some skill transfer. However, from a dead standstill, where you seem to be, you won't be cross-learning between systems any time soon.

So, if you're getting paid to learn Hadoop, learn Hadoop and don't worry about SQL Server.

Now, I'd be curious if your business really needs an unstructured, distributed data collection mechanism or if they're just going with what's trendy & cool, but that's a different discussion.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply