Delete statement running slow

• Hi,

We have been running some delete statemets on some tables  which contains nearly 20 core records in each table approximately.

We need to run this delete statements daily.

One day these statements executing in a hour some other day it was taking 6hours.

I would like know why I am getting difference in comming in execution time.

What are the steps I need to take before starting the delete statements?

Thanks & Regards
    Krishna.

• krishnabudampati - Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:40 AM

Hi,

We have been running some delete statemets on some tables  which contains nearly 20 core records in each table approximately.

One day these statements executing in a hour some other day it was taking 6hours.

Thanks & Regards
    Krishna.

If there is absolutely no other activity on the server then you might expect the execution times to be quite similar. Have you looked at waits during execution? Have you tried cache priming?
    Can you post up an execution plan?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• What wait types are you seeing (any I/O related) and what does sp_locks tell you about the locking on the server at this time. Could be related to a large number of possible variables, can we have more information about what you are running, what else is running at the time e.g any other code, any SQL Jobs etc.. and what the status of the locks and wait types are at the time you notice it running slowly.

• krishnabudampati - Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:40 AM

Hi,

Thanks & Regards
    Krishna.

How you checked whether the delete statement is blocked during execution?

• In addition to the other checks listed (blocking, waits, execution plan), are these delete statements deleting varying amounts of data? If the data changes, so will the behavior, sometimes radically in comparison to the data. Also, how up to date are your statistics? More specifically, how up to date are your statistics prior to the DELETE statements running? That could also impact what's going on (and would be evidenced in the information you need to capture above, especially the execution plan. Make sure you get a plan for the "slow" execution and the "fast" execution).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply