Delete Query based on 2 tables-DEADLINE Looming

• I am trying to create a delete query that will delete data from 1 table based on the data in table 2.

DELETE FROM [SD_Order_Dev].[dbo].[ProjectDemand]

WHERE dbo.CADFilePath.ProjNum=dbo.ProjectDemand.ProjectNumber

What is the proper syntax - I am trying to call this query from DTS Execute Sql Task.

Need Urgent response - DEADLINE Looming

Thanks for your assistance,

Karen

• Hi Karen

This should work:

WHERE

dbo.ProjectDemand.ProjectNumber in

(select ProjNum from dbo.CADFilePath)

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi,

I think we don't need to give full name for the column names. so we can give

WHERE ProjectNumber IN (SELECT Projnum FROM [dbo].[CADFilepath]

Also when you use Execute Sql task in DTS you can check whether the syntax is correct using the Parse query button in the Execute Sql task.

Thanks,

Sridhar!!

• I have read a few different ideas on whether to use subqueries such as what are displayed here for deleting (or updating) between two tables.

In your experiences what is normally the best idea for this?  Or is it simply easier to write the subqueries than doing it via inner joins?

• I think it's mainly personal preference, but I usually write out the JOIN so that it's more immediately obvious what's hapening in the query.

DELETE dbo.ProjectDemand

FROM dbo.ProjectDemand pd

JOIN dbo.CADFilePath cfp ON pd.ProjectNumber = cfp.ProjNum

Marbry

• thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Karen

• I actually think that the JOIN method will execute faster than the subquery I proposed. However, the subquery method is easier IMO to write and I had a hangover when I responded, so I took the easy way out!

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply