Delete Operation on table with 60 Million records

• Hi ,

Environment: SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition with sufficient hardware.

I have a table with > 60 Million records on which I am performing delete operation using a stored proc. I am deleting the records by batch using TOP clause by joining with a #temp table (with no indexes). I have 1 Cluster Index and 3 non-cluseter index on this main table. Issue is the block itself is taking 95% of the stored proc's total execution. Below is the query that I am using to delete records.

WHILE 1 = 1

BEGIN

DELETE TOP(10000) t

FROM EXPORT.SE_VARCS_DBF t -- Main table with > 60 Million Recs

INNER JOIN #PatchIdentifiers p -- Temp Table

ONt.M_SCNTYPE = p.M_SCNTYPE AND

t.M_FAMILY0 = p.M_FAMILY0 AND

t.M_MLABEL0 = p.M_MLABEL0 AND

t.M_SLABEL0 = p.M_SLABEL0

WHERE t.ContainerID = @TargetContainerID

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0

BREAK

END

Could you please help me out with the advice.

Thanks,

Arjun.

• ArjunaReddy (6/24/2013)

Hi ,

Environment: SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition with sufficient hardware.

I have a table with > 60 Million records on which I am performing delete operation using a stored proc. I am deleting the records by batch using TOP clause by joining with a #temp table (with no indexes). I have 1 Cluster Index and 3 non-cluseter index on this main table. Issue is the block itself is taking 95% of the stored proc's total execution. Below is the query that I am using to delete records.

WHILE 1 = 1

BEGIN

DELETE TOP(10000) t

FROM EXPORT.SE_VARCS_DBF t -- Main table with > 60 Million Recs

INNER JOIN #PatchIdentifiers p -- Temp Table

t.M_SLABEL0 = p.M_SLABEL0

WHERE t.ContainerID = @TargetContainerID

IF @@ROWCOUNT = 0

BREAK

END

Could you please help me out with the advice.

Thanks,

Arjun.

Performance issues generally require a lot more information. Have a read through this --> http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/%5B/url%5D.

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Can you just put the PKs of the main table to be deleted in the temp table, then index it, then join on that.

Also, you need to surround your deletes with a begin/commit tran:

Begin tran

delete ...

commit tran

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Please find the execution plan for the delete statement. Looking at the plan INDEX delete operation is taking most of the time, Please let me know if there is any way to reduce.

• Can you post the actual plan (not the estimated plan) for this batch, please?

-- Determine what is in the patch container

SELECT TOP(1000) DISTINCT M_SCNTYPE, M_FAMILY0, M_MLABEL0, M_SLABEL0, ContainerID = @TargetContainerID

INTO #PatchIdentifiers

FROM Export.SE_VARCS_DBF

WHERE ContainerID = @PatchContainerID

-- Remove patch identifiers from target in batches

DELETE t

FROM Export.SE_VARCS_DBF t

INNER JOIN #PatchIdentifiers p

t.M_SLABEL0 = p.M_SLABEL0 AND

t.ContainerID = p.TargetContainerID

Cheers

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I insist to ignore top clause as there are around 60 million records. when u perform top it default sorts data. I insist use between clause that on your identity column that helps may more.

• Aadhar Joshi (6/24/2013)

I insist to ignore top clause as there are around 60 million records. when u perform top it default sorts data.

No it doesn't. A TOP just limits the resultset to that number, to get a sort, you need something like an ORDER BY, which isn't valid on a delete

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply