Delete Duplicates from table with no identity column

• Thanks for the offer... I read about the "With" Statement... I like it ... Very nice and powerful

Thank You

• Yes, and for information purposes, those "With" clauses are also called CTE's or 'Common Table Expressions'. It is nice though I have not used it yet. Waiting for a situation where I will need it.

--
    :hehe:

• Lowell (9/25/2009)

Stuff

It's important to mention that all %% pseudo-columns are undocumented, unsupported, and very cool.

• Good Work Lowell

100 out of 100

Leena

• glad this was helpful for you , Leena; I've never found a practical use for it so far, but it is good to know; of course there is always more than one way to do this, and I usually use row_number() , but it's fun to expand the toolbox of scripts a little bit.

nandy.chawala (2/3/2010)

Good Work Lowell

100 out of 100

Leena

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (2/3/2010)

I've never found a practical use for it so far...

Probably just as well since it is undocumented 😉

I think I used it once to demonstrate lock hash collisions (two rows that generated the same lock hash and hence could deadlock, even though the data rows themselves were unrelated).

I might be misremembering it though 😛

2008 has %%PhysLoc%% and an undocumented decoding function to go with it. See http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/SQL-Server-2008-New-(undocumented)-physical-row-locator-function.aspx

Paul

• Less sophisticated but what also would work (ans also on sql 2000):

select col1, col2, col3, col4 from Mytable into #tmp_Mytable

group by col1, col2, col3, col4

truncate table Mytable

insert into Mytable select * from #tmp_table

Large tables would require a lot of column typing though.

• d.majoor (2/5/2010)

Large tables would require a lot of column typing though.

You could use SELECT DISTINCT * to overcome that (instead of using the group by).

• NVM. I just saw someone suggested the same solution I did 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply