Delay in job completion

• On one of our servers I have discovered strange behaviour of SQL Agent.

Job duration is always 4 seconds more that sum of all step durations.

Profiler does not show extreme durations in job history recording.

I don't se anything like this on any other server.

Does anybody have an idea what could cause this?

Can it be a bad sign of something not in the best shape or even to fail soon?

• What percentage of this difference? Is it because of rounding up?

• I've seen something like it as well when running stuff in SSMS. The time seems to tick well past what it tells me it took to run. So I would see it tick to 45 seconds on the clock in the bottom right, but the "timer" I put on tells me exec time=38 secs or so.

I couldn't figure that out either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• No, it's 4 seconds every time, very rarely 5 seconds but I consider it's rounding.

If job steps take 2 seconds in total, job take 6 second, if 10 then 14 and so on.

Strangely enough, I cheched those "2 sec" steps - when I run it from QA it takes less than second (0:00:00 indicated by QA). That means step durations recorded by SQL Agent are bifgger that actual execution time.

Really puzzled with this.

• I think it is understandable. Here is a scenario.

The system needs some time to go to the next step after one is completed.

For example, we need to warm our food for lunch. We take food from refig. It takes 5 seconds. Then, we go to microwave oven. It takes 3 minutes to warm the food. The total time to complete the two steps should be 3 minutes and 5 seconds. But do we count the time for us to walk from the refig to the microwave oven? Well, if adding this time, the total period should be more than 3 minutes and 5 seconds, which is the period to complete the whole job.

• Yes, I understand it must be time SQL Agent needs to record job/steps history.

But isn't it too long?

On none of other servers it takes more than 1 second, even on the slowest ones.

I would suspect big overall load on server but this magic number "4 seconds", not more, not less, makes me believe it's not the reason.

Something must be wrong with SQL Server Agent, but I cannot see what.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply