Defrag SQL Server''s Data Drive

• Hi All,

We have a two-node cluster server dedicated for SQL Server 2000 databases. The OS is Win2K Advance Server on Compaq Proliant DL580. The SQL Server data locate on the G drive which is a RAID 0+1 mirrored disk. When we look into the disk from OS' Disk Defragment utility, the utility recommends to perform defragmentation on this drive. The databases are running fine on the server. We concern any negative impacts resulting from performing defragmentation on this critical drive. Can someone advise on this?

Thanks very much for your inputs!

Yichang 

• Hi,

I don't think that database files could be defragmented while SQL Server is up. They are open files. You may use a maintenence window with SQL Server shut down to defrag after backing up the drive.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• I have done it on a live server before but as mentioned the files are in an open state unless you have the auto close feature on (which I don't recommend). For you to really get a bennifit from doing the OS defrag I suggest grow the files to a larger size so you have plenty of free room within the file for several weeks or longer (depending on if you can do an OS defrag on a maintainence schedual without impact). Then stop SQL and do the defrag. Once done restart SQL service.

Another option is to look into Diskeeper by Executive Software. That actually made the builtin defrag utilit for WIndows 2000, XP and later. I think there server version can work with open files and allow SQL to remain live. But I haven't looked in a while and may still require some downtime. You might even should contact their support and see if will work.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply