Definitive OLAP Book

• I am looking for the definitive book on OLAP. It would be nice if it was MS-SQL aware but I'll take a book that was vendor neutral, also.

I already know the OLTP side so I'm looking for a book that will walk me through all the steps in an OLAP design and implementation.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

TIA

Steve Hendricks

MCSD, MCDBA

AFS Consulting Group

shendricks@afsconsulting.com

(949) 588-9800 x15

Steve Hendricks
    MCSD, MCDBA
    Data Matrix

shendricks@afsconsulting.com
    (949) 588-9800 x15

• No idea. OLAP is a different world! We're weak in that area, if you learn the answers please drop by to answer some questions:-) Be interested to hear which book you end up with and how good it turned out to be.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• The best book I have found so far is Microsoft(r) SQL Server(tm) 2000 Analysis Services Step by Step

-- Olap Train (Editor), Reed Jacobson. Unfortunately, there just doesn't seem to be a plethora of OLAP books...

hth,

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• Try Unlocking OLAP with Microsoft SQL Server and Excel 2000 (ISBN 0764545876) or SQL Server 7 Data Warehousing (ISBN 0072119217). These are both SQL7 versions of the books, but do go through design issues.

Another book of interest is SQL Server Developers Guide to OLAP with Analysis Services (ISBN 0782129579). This is a SQL2000 version, but doesn't go into much depth on OLAP design issues, but does include a useful introduction to MDX, if you were thinking of custom MDX queries, and how to programmatically access the cubes.

• Microsoft(r) SQL Server(tm) 2000 Analysis Services Step by Step

Seems to be a deceient book for the beginer which one of my fellow cohorts picked up and is using. I am not much a book person myself and hands on is far more usefull, I just the need the basics. Overall a simple step by step book is best to begin with then if you are hands on it is about playing. If you learn more by reading then I suggest checking all the book sites (amazon, barnes and noble, books-a-million, etc) and read the book personal reviews on all sites possible before you purchase anything. Better still, goto Media Play, Waldenbooks, Books-A-Million, Barnes and Nobel, etc and dig thru the old marked down books, this way if it stinks you are not out as bad a chunk of change.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply