Define All The Steps Up Front

• Agree that some documentation is better than none. My pet peeve is code with few or no comments. It takes just a few seconds to add comment lines here and there to explain the "what" and "why" of code that may not otherwise be obvious. And at a slightly higher level. it also takes very little time to write a paragraph or 2 giving an overview of what a subset of an application does.

Nobody wants to read or write a "book", but often it's the little things, that if explained, can save lots of time and prevent mistakes & bugs.

• Hi all,

Fun enough, this thread 😉 Mixing state moves with unrelated thoughts about the need to document pgms code (how deep ? how far ?)

As a frog, I’ve learned a couple of interesting things about moving from one state to another (totally wasn’t aware it could be such a hassle !…) To us, you are citizens of the most powerful (democratic) country in this world , the US, a coherent federation, so things should run easier !

As for the need to get things documented, it’s obvious to me : but no simple, universal solution to address the issue … For instance, documenting a new code segment which acts as a workaround - some kind of patch - is not easy m, in many cases because you have to explain what’s the trouble and why your patch fix it : need to be a bit verbose and a good deal clear to get understood by somebody else…

Pessimistic or realistic ?

Both I think… but you beg to differ, you, clever people who have joined this thread 😉

Eric

• eric.kero@orange.fr wrote:

Hi all,

Fun enough, this thread 😉 Mixing state moves with unrelated thoughts about the need to document pgms code (how deep ? how far ?)

As a frog, I’ve learned a couple of interesting things about moving from one state to another (totally wasn’t aware it could be such a hassle !…) To us, you are citizens of the most powerful (democratic) country in this world , the US, a coherent federation, so things should run easier !

As for the need to get things documented, it’s obvious to me : but no simple, universal solution to address the issue … For instance, documenting a new code segment which acts as a workaround - some kind of patch - is not easy m, in many cases because you have to explain what’s the trouble and why your patch fix it : need to be a bit verbose and a good deal clear to get understood by somebody else…

Pessimistic or realistic ?

Both I think… but you beg to differ, you, clever people who have joined this thread 😉

Eric

Let's just say documentation ain't easy. 100% agreement. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get it right. Note the operative phrase though, try. I'm not saying anyone will nail it. I certainly don't.

As to unrelated, damn, sorry. I tried to match them up with the idea of two incomplete lists of requirements. Ah well. Missed on that one I guess.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Nope, Grant : this thread is fairly good as it is 😉

And, once more, very interesting for a foreigner as I am !

Side question : Are you planning to release a new book on SQL Server ? Think will be the very first one to get it 😉

Good luck for your relication, I do hope it will match all your expectations 😉

Leaving this thread : no more comment to add (neither sensible, nor moronic… lol)

Cheers,

Eric

• I am going to rewrite my query performance tuning book. It's a little out of date now. Pretty sure vNext is coming soon(ish). So yeah. I'm supposed to be working on it now, but the move has used up all my "spare time" and spare energy. As soon as that's done, I'll get going on it. Thanks for the kind words.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply