Default trace enabled Option

• Hi everyone, I am thinking about enabling the "default trace enabled Option" but I am not sure if this is going to cause performance issues or if there are some considerations I should have in mind before just activating this option 😀

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• well after searching a while on the web, my guess is that it's as expensive as using the profiler, the thing is that by default only DDL statements are traced, so this wouldn't be so bad, because I don't think everyone is doing DDL sentences the whole day.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated 😀

Thanks in advance.

• I have enabled my server side trace on, this takes much less overhead then using the profiler, again it depends upon your server load, enable it and then have a check on load. 🙂

• Default Trace overhead is "minimal"!

* Noel

• Thanks for the replies but is there any "official" link or site where I could find this??? The thing is that I have to support why it's a good idea to use this option and that it won't generate overhead on my production servers.

I know it's a lot less than what profilers uses and that it would depend on the events I have configured but I haven't been able to find a site that actually says that it doesn't give too much work to the SQL Server.

Thanks in advance. 😀

• chileu17 (2/18/2009)

Thanks for the replies but is there any "official" link or site where I could find this??? The thing is that I have to support why it's a good idea to use this option and that it won't generate overhead on my production servers.

I know it's a lot less than what profilers uses and that it would depend on the events I have configured but I haven't been able to find a site that actually says that it doesn't give too much work to the SQL Server.

Thanks in advance. 😀

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/linchi_shea/archive/2007/01/16/performance-impact-of-enabling-page-checksum-and-default-trace.aspx

* Noel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply