Default Backup Directory

• Hi,

In SQL Server 2008, we can change it from SSMS by right clicking Instance name.

But in SQL Server 2005, it was possible by modifying registery.

The question is not wrong but it is applicable to 2005 and not to 2008.

Duncan has already said this in earlier posts. Kindly read earlier posts.

Regards,

Tejaswini

• michael.kaufmann (2/23/2011)

SUPER SQL STAR (2/22/2011)

GOOD MORNING ..MORNING I LEARNED NEW TOPIC THANKS..

The directories for the default data files, log files and backups are stored in the system registry. As mentioned already you have the ability to change the default data and log directories using SQL Server Management Studio, by right clicking on the server name and selecting properties and navigating to the Database Settings page as shown below.

Super SQL Star,

are you Greg Robidoux and is this your pseudonym here on SSC?

If you aren't, please give credit to Greg and quote that you copied from his excellent post (http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1583), as Tejaswili Patil already pointed out.

Regards,

Michael

Busted!

(unless he really is Greg Robidoux :-))

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I answered SQL Server Management Studiop because in SQL Server 2008, we can change the default backup directory in it.

Select facets on the instance of SQL Server and change the value of Backup Directory.

In the question, it was not specified if it was SQL Serv 2005 or 2008.

• @ lady di....

Same with me...

I got wrong answer 🙁

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• I answered based on SSMS 2008. I haven't used the 2005 client tools in quite some time and the question did not specify which version of SQL tools was being used 🙁

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• James Lean (2/23/2011)

You CAN change the default backup directory using SSMS very easily:-

- From Object Explorer, right-click on the server and choose Facets.

- In the Facet dropdown, choose Server Settings.

- Change the BackupDirectory to your chosen folder.

No server restart is necessary. You can verify the change by checking the registry key.

Thanks James, I did not know you could change it from SSMS.

• SKYBVI, Lady Di, MG-148046 and anyone else who picked SSMS because you can do this in 2008:

In case you haven't read my previous posts, I apologise for the question - it should have specified SSMS 2005, and I have emailed the webmaster to ask for it to be changed. Not much more I can do for now I'm afraid

Duncan

• easy one today

thanks

• Duncan Pryde (2/23/2011)

SKYBVI, Lady Di, MG-148046 and anyone else who picked SSMS because you can do this in 2008:

In case you haven't read my previous posts, I apologise for the question - it should have specified SSMS 2005, and I have emailed the webmaster to ask for it to be changed. Not much more I can do for now I'm afraid

Duncan

Thanks Duncan

btw, you made us afraid before 🙂

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• First let me say I only got the question right because I know someone that works at M$.

Second let me say that I have no idea if this question is still on the M$ database exams becuase it is so controverted.

The exam question used to be how do you set the default backup directory.

The correct answer was only during installation.

It was said the other "correct answers" were wrong becuase manual registry updates to change a policy settings was not supported.

Unfortunately it actualy can be done by updating the registry and with the FACETS management object for updating policy objects. Does not even have to be done in SSMS if you know how to call it from code.

Shame that M$ support does not properly document the Policy Update or FACETS utility.

• The Spartans (2/23/2011)

Good qUESTIONS..

I SAW THIS TYPE QUESTIONS VERY RARE

This is off topic, but does everyone know there is an Edit button for changing your POST?

It actually does work!

• Duncan Pryde (2/23/2011)

No apologies however to anyone that didn't know about that way of doing it and thought you could set it in the same place as the default locations for data and log files ;-))

Duncan, you can if you do it during the server install. Of course your question did say default, but then again a default installation on a cluster never puts any of these on the "C:" or "<system drive>:". You could add that to your explination. 😀

• Thanks for the question. (It was easy since it has been modified to limit it to SQL Server 2005.)

• Thanks for the question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• James Lean (2/23/2011)

You CAN change the default backup directory using SSMS very easily:-

- From Object Explorer, right-click on the server and choose Facets.

- In the Facet dropdown, choose Server Settings.

- Change the BackupDirectory to your chosen folder.

No server restart is necessary. You can verify the change by checking the registry key.

Thanks - That is very good information.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply